T W E N T Y - O N E

"Absence makes the heart grow fonder."

-Xamdú

________________________________________

The snow covering the ground made Fariel think of the starry night sky. It was no different. When the snow shimmered in the sunlight it was as if little stars had fallen onto the earth. He bent down to pick up a handful of snow and watched it melt in his very hands. It left nothing but a sad smile on his face. The God of Miracles could not be found.

Fariel needed to send a prayer to her. Without her and her mercy and grace, he knew Karos would not survive the winter. Whether emotionally or physically, he knew if he continued on this path he will drown in a sea of blood of his own making. If he did not care for his own life, Fariel knew Karos would care for Analia's. He would not do anything to put her in danger. However, these days he saw how restless Karos was becoming.  Karos eyed the rope tying both him and Analia together, before walking on. Fariel knew Karos would catch on and become irate with him once more. He was not so dumb.

"I have to pee," Analia's voice pulled him out of his thoughts.

"You peed two hours ago. Why must you go again?" Karos asked with annoyance.

"I have to go. I have to go. I did not know you were counting. You should bide your time doing other things."

"It is hard not to, seeing as though I must squat when you squat. I must listen to you relieve yourself for the past day and a half!"

"It is quite hard being a woman. You see, we do not have the luxury to piss wherever we so please."

Karos simmered and Analia continued to tug him behind a tree. Fariel could only smile at their closeness and their little bickers. It took his mind off of the horrors ravaging the world, the death surrounding them, and all of his suffering.

"You should lift your leg. It is running down," Analia snickered.

"You are a foul woman."

"Then I should be your type, hm?"

Fariel watched as Karos tugged her back to the main road ignoring her completely.

"Or are you more into redheads, with eyes as blue as the very skies?"

"Must you be so annoying?"

"Ah, and here you presented yourself out to be a lover of women. Between you and Fariel, I cannot say who is more deceitful."

"When will you die? Answer me that. That will only ever be the sure way of getting rid of you. But like a roach, you always find a way to survive."

Fariel let out a big laugh then causing Karos and Analia's attention to be directed towards him.

"Forgive me, but your bickering has grown quite childish as of late. It amuses me so."

"I have half a mind to cut this rope and feed her to those things these days."

"And I promise you, you would be left with no fingers. Your head will barely be hanging onto your neck," she hissed.

"Look. Look. A gate nearby. We are not far!" Fariel pointed out.

He knew they were both tired and worn from all the walking and happenings they endured. The gwasas only seemed to multiply in number the further they went away from the city of Asalph. Wielding a sword with only one hand showed just how remarkable these humans were.

They would survive. Even if the moon turned red and stars fell onto the earth. They would survive, Fariel thought with a fervor. It will only get worse, the obstacles more challenging, he knew. Gwasas were one thing, but griffins were another.