Chapter 6

I wet my cheeks and eyes until the swelling went down and my eyes weren't as red. Once I didn't look like I'd been crying so much, I headed out to go to my locker. I stopped two steps out of the bathroom as I came face to face with Zane. I felt my body fill with dread as I gulped. This couldn't be happening, not right now. He was coming out of the men's room with a gray gym shirt on and his other shirt in a trash bag. His eyes zeroed in on me.

"You," he said. He caught my arm before I could run. His hold was gentle, yet firm. "We need to talk," he muttered as he dragged me along anyway. It was a good thing the halls were empty. We went down a hallway and turned corners until he pulled me into the empty music room and closed the door behind us. My eyes widened in fear when I saw the fury in his.

"You threw up all over my favorite shirt!" he said accusingly. I held my hands up defensively.

"Look, I know and I'm sorry. I already felt sick, and when I ran into you, I couldn't control it. It was an accident, honestly. Then I saw what happened and I panicked. I didn't want people to think we knew each other so I just blurted out the first thing that came to mind, Please don't hurt me," I explained in a rush. He rolled his eyes.

"I don't hit girls... And seriously, that's why you insulted me like that? Who cares if people think we know each other?" he asked.

"I care!" I snapped at him. I shut my eyes tightly and grabbed my head as a wave of pain hit me.

"Whoa, here, take a seat," he said, offering me a chair. I sat and waited for the pain to subside. "You've been feeling sick like that a lot lately?" he asked. I nodded and opened my eyes to see that he was sitting across from me. We were quiet for a moment until I took my hand off my head. "Why do you care so much if people think we know each other?" he asked softer. I took a deep breath before I looked at him.

"Because you only know girls in one way, and I don't want people to think I'm just another stupid name on your list," I answered.

"What list?" he asked, genuinely confused. I rolled my eyes and crossed my arms.

"You know what list I'm talking about," I yelled at him, immediately regretting it as the pain came back. My head was pounding. He hesitated before a look of realization crossed his face.

"The list of girls I've had sex with?" he asked. I winced at his crudeness before I nodded and looked away from him. "That's why you've been avoiding me?" he asked. Again, I nodded.

"Why have you been trying to talk to me? It's very unlike you to checkin on your past... flings," I said, wincing at the fact that my first time could even be considered a fling. He shrugged and rubbed the back of his neck awkwardly.

"I was trying to see if you were okay after everything," he admitted. That was very out of character of him. Zane was known for dumping girls after he was done with them and then going back to Paris.

"Why?" I practically demanded. Zane looked uncomfortable to say the least as he fidgeted with his hands.

"Because you were just so... calm when I dropped you off and it was your first time. I may sleep around, but I don't sleep with virgins. It's my number one rule," he rambled. I rolled my eyes and crossed my legs.

"Because that makes perfect sense," I said sarcastically.

"It does actually," he said seriously. I raised an eyebrow at him; daring him to explain. He signed and looked up before he leaned forward, resting his elbows on his knees. "Losing your virginity isn't supposed to be how it, unfortunately, was for you. You're supposed to find someone you like, get to know them, eventually love them, and then maybe, you hand them your card," he explained. I scoffed.

"Okay, casanova, you're telling me that you believe in love? As if," I said, not convinced.

"Not for me. I'm a lost cause; it's too late for me, but other people? Yes," he answered. I stopped and just examined him. I wasn't expecting him to look so raw and honest. I was just shocked that he was telling the truth. I was expecting something vulgar and sarcastic, like 'virgins are meant to be used for sacrifices' or something, but no. My headache was coming back.

"I have to go," I said, standing quickly. As soon as I stood, the room went black.