Chapter 11- Just a thought

Later on that day/night....

Bones had just begun to walk back to his room when he heard some commotion in the bathroom. As he walked by it, Uhura walked out.

“Dr.McCoy! Thank goodness you’re here.” She sighed in relief.

“What’s going on?” He asked, his eyes darting to the entrance to the bathroom, then back at Uhura.

“Cassandra’s sick.”

“With what?”

“We were hoping you would know.” Uhura replied as Bones walked into the bathroom. He saw her leaning over the toilet. Her hair was covering her face, concealing any expressions she was showing.

“Cassandra! You alright?” He asked while walking over and pulling her hair back. She nodded before she vomited again. Sweat was pouring down her face.

“Looks like you’ve got a little stomach virus.” Bones said while rubbing her back. After about twenty minutes of off and on vomiting, Cassandra sighed and leaned into the wall.

“Done?” Bones questioned. She nodded.

“How can you tell?”

“Because I’m hungry.” Cassandra laughed.

“Then let’s get you cleaned up and back to medbay.” Bones chuckled as he helped her up.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

“Guess it was a virus.” Bones said as he walked over to Cassandra’s hospital bed. Even though she wasn’t hurt severely, Bones wanted her to stay in the medical center. Plus, Cassandra’s stomach virus would act up periodically, so he wanted to keep a close eye on her.

“You need to eat something.” He said while she sat up. She sighed.

“I’ll just throw it up.”

“Whatever was in your system is gone now.” As Bones finished his sentence, he noticed Cassandra was shaking. Her cheeks were also a rose red. His expression grew serious.

“Are you running a fever?” He questioned as he placed his hand on her forehead.

“Man you’re burning up!” He exclaimed while waving the nurses over. They immediately filled a bowl with ice water and drenched some rags in it. Bones put one on her forehead as the nurses covered her with a cold blanket. Cassandra began to shiver even more. Even if she was shaking and shivering, she didn’t say a word. No words escaped her lips the whole time.

“Take this.” Bones instructed while giving her a cup of water and a pill. Cassandra did as she was told.

“Anything else?” She stuttered out.

“Rest.”

Cassandra nodded at Bones and turned her head while closing her eyes. Bones could see she was exhausted. Throwing up all night and running a fever in the morning defiantly wore her out. As he walked out of the medical center, someone patted his back.

“Why are you up so early?” A familiar voice questioned. Bones turned around to see Kirk.

“Cassie’s sick.” He replied.

“What’s wrong?”

“She was throwing up all night and now she’s running a fever.” 

Kirk frowned.

“You look tired as well.” He added. Bones shot him a look. “I’m serious!” A few seconds flew by before Kirk brought up another question.

“So what happened yesterday?” He asked. “Why was she crying?”

“The poor girl’s lost both of her parents Jim.” Bones replied. “Her mother died after her birth and her father died on her sixth birthday.”

“So she’s living in an orphanage back home?”

Bones nodded at Kirk’s question. There was a pause. Just as Kirk began to ask another question, Bones interrupted.

“No Jim, I already know what you’re thinking.”

“Come on Bones. Even if you hadn’t already said it, you and I both know she trusts you more than anyone here.” Kirk added.

“She only has three more years till she’s out of the orphanage. She’ll be fine.” 

Kirk frowned.

“Bones, you know how hard it was for me without one parent. Imagine both. Cassandra hasn’t had any friends and has trusted no one. Now all of a sudden you show up in her life, and she trusts you. Not only as a kid, but as a teenager.” Bones sighed at Kirk’s lecture. He was right.

“So?” Kirk questioned. Bones sighed.

“I don’t know.”

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ 

Author's note:I'm sorry if this chapter isn't as good as the others. I'm getting a small writers block :P  but anyways, what do you guys think? Should Bones adopt Cassandra?