Chapter 10

The air stilled as the stranger took another step towards my father.

"You're alive," Dad breathed out as if he couldn't believe that the man standing in front of him was indeed standing right in front of him. "I don't believe it."

My brain itched to comprehend exactly what was going on. Dad knows him?

The stranger's eyes bore into Dad's after that obvious statement. "Where is she?"

Dad cocked his head to the side. "Where is who?"

"You know who."

It took a moment before Dad grinned devilishly as if he'd found the answer to a billion-dollar question. "Ah, that she?" His grin grew wider. "Why would I know where she is? I only just knew you were alive, so what makes you think I know her whereabouts? Even more so, that she's somehow alive."

"I know you do," the stranger answered defiantly. "Do not lie to me."

"Ah yes, you were never fond of lies, were you?" My father's tone dropped as he mocked. "Dad."

I stiffened. Dad? My eyes widened just as my breathing quickened. He can't be serious. That's my...grandfather?

The stranger - Albus - glowered and I could literally feel the tension and anger emanating from his giant figure as he commanded in his authoritative voice. "Tell me where she is."

Dad tsked. "I'm afraid I don't have to answer to you anymore." He moved away from Albus, whose eye colour had returned to its normal after turning deep silver, before slowly circling him. "You lost that position as Alpha years ago when I stripped that power from you. Yet somehow you survived from that brutal assault, and I wonder how." Dad paused dramatically and rubbed his chin with his thumb and forefinger.

"But it doesn't really matter now," he continued. "Now all you have left is a runaway mate and a desperation to find something that you lost a long time ago."

Albus visibly tensed at that but kept a searing glare aimed at my father whilst he strode around him. "You have the crystal moonstone."

Though his statement wasn't exactly posed as a question, a wicked and mysterious smile was his only reply.

Albus gritted his teeth in annoyance. "That belongs to me, and I will have it back. But right now, I order you to tell me where she is."

"Or what?" Dad challenged. "Because from what I see, you're the one at a disadvantage. I've got wolves in the shadows all around you, just waiting for my signal before they strike. And believe me when I say that you'll be dead within the blink of an eye when that happens."

"All those years apart and you have forgotten just how ruthless I can be," Albus snarled, his jaw clenched. "You think a bunch of untrained dogs are going to stop me?"

Dad stopped moving as he stood in front of the two werewolves who were still witnessing the scene. "Oh, I bet you they can."

"I do not have time for this," Albus growled just before his grey eyes deepened into a deadly blood red and his fangs elongated. "Tell me where she is!"

"If you insist. She's right-" my father's head turned towards my direction and my heart literally stopped beating for a nanosecond as he raised a finger and pointed at my half-hidden frame, "-there."

I struggled to breathe.

Oh my God, she's behind me!

I swiftly turned around, surprised that I hadn't been aware before of that, and prepared myself to come face to face with a ruthless woman. But instead, I saw nothing.