3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
2 sticks/8 ounces salted butter, at room temperature
1 and 1/2 cups sugar
2 large eggs
1 and 1/2 tbsp finely grated lemon zest
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp vanilla extract
1. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, with an electric mixer, beat the butter until softened. Add the sugar and beat until light and fluffy, 3 to 5 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.
3. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.
4. Beat the lemon zest, lemon juice, and vanilla.
5. On low speed, beat the flour mixture until well combined.
6. Shape the dough into 2 disks about 1 inch thick. Wrap the disks in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour up to overnight.
7. Position the racks on the middle and lower third of the oven and preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper, or grease and lightly flour.
8. Working with one disk at a time on a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough 1/4 inch thick. Cut out cookies using a 2 and 1/2 inch round cookie cutter and place them 1 inch a part on the baking sheets.(Re-roll the dough scraps to cut out more cookies.)
9. Bake for 12 to 13 minutes, switching the pans from top to bottom and rotating them front to back halfway through. The cookies should be firm to touch, but not brown on the edges.
10. Let cool for 2 minutes on the baking sheets, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Credits to: Rossana Pansino, book is titled The Nerdy Nummies Cookbook
Note: picture was taken from cookbook