Chapter 25

(HyoJin's P.O.V)

I felt sick to my stomach, my mouth was dry and the light was blinding. Where am I? I thought to myself, blinking rapidly, trying to adjust to the harsh lighting. It felt somewhat familiar but I couldn't distinguish why.

"Hey.. HyoJin.." I heard a small voice echo to my left and I turned slowly. I didn't know where I was at that point but I was in a bed, I knew that much.

When I met the face that had spoken I realized it was a doctor. Am I in the hospital?

I felt my eyes closing again and I ended up drifting back off into cloudy darkness.

When I awoke again, it took me a while to come to it and the doctor was now accompanied by my mother which filled me with relief.

I had plastic tubes in my nose which felt uncomfortable now that I'd realized their presence in my nostrils.

My head was spinning in confusion.

With a dry throat, I coughed weakly which caused intense pain in my ribcage, causing me to groan in anguish.

A nurse came over and fiddled with the drip bag that supplied me with water through an I.V line I'd noticed in my hand. She must've given me more pain relief because soon the pain in my ribcage waned to just a dull ache.

I looked down at my right wrist which had a bandage around it and it didn't hurt until I moved it around. Lucky I'm left handed, I thought.

I don't know how long it took but after a while of my head spinning and me glancing around the room confoundedly, I could finally speak and the doctor looked relieved when I murmured "Am I in the hospital?"

He nodded slowly, his clipboard in front of him. He introduced himself as Dr. Byun, and I responded with a curt nod.

The nurse stood beside me still adjusting things on the machines I was hooked up to, and fixing my I.V line. I'd been in the hospital before, a couple times, whether it was for myself or for family. I trusted the medical professionals because I knew where I was but I just didn't know why I was here.

"Honey, HyoJin, how are you feeling?" My mother spoke up apprehensively before taking my hand in hers. She wore an uncertain smile and it made me marvel the whole situation to the point that my head ached.

"I'm confused.. Mum, what happened?" I asked impatiently, looking down at my bandaged wrist.

She bit her lip and directed her gaze up at the doctor who nodded in response. She brushed a lock of hair from my forehead and gave me a regretful look.

"You.. you were in a car accident." She started, and I was already frowning, "you broke a few bones and you were.. in a coma.. for sixteen days. I'm just so glad you're awake now - I know this is a lot to take in." Her grip on my hand tightened slightly as her eyes welled up.

"A car accident?" I blinked in disarray as I scanned between my mother and the doctor. "With who?"

"You were in a taxi heading back into Seoul. Do you remember that?" My mother asked and I shook my head to indicate that, no, I had no idea what the hell happened or what was currently happening.