Chapter 15

Five days after their passionate day, the two hadn't spoken to each other ever since and Elijah felt terrible about it. He didn't want Adelaide thinking that that was the only thing he wanted from her, yet it was Adelaide that refused to pick up the phone when he called. 

"Elijah, being a human means a fresh start. I can grow old and have a family and fill my days with meaning, knowing that each one matters." Rebekah explained. 

"Well, that was poetic." Klaus said, leaning back in his chair. 

"Well, if you can provide us with a more compelling reason for wanting the cure, Klaus, please." Elijah invited his brother to speal. 

"Silas can appear as anyone. He got inside my thoughts, convinced me I was dying. He will torment me until I give him the cure." 

"And in doing so he will break down the wall to the Other Side." Rebekah stated. 

"So it doesn't trap him there when he dies. He wants to reunite with his lost soulmate. You of all lovesick fools should applaud his devotion." He said the last part to Elijah. 

"He will open the floodgates for every supernatural being that has ever died." Rebekah said. 

"Including our dear brothers, Kol and Finn. We'll have our family back." Klaus said as if it was a great thing. 

"Please, you hated Kol and you kept Finn in a box for most of his life." A voice said. When Niklaus and Elijah turned around, they saw Adelaide standing there. 

Elijah's mouth nearly fell open when he saw her. She was... different. He couldn't put his finger on it, but it could've been because they made love nearly all day long a week before. 

She was wearing a white tank top with a gray knitted cardigan, a turquoise pair of pants and high heeled gray boots that came to her knee. 

"Niklaus," She said, going down the steps, "Why am I here?" 

Elijah turned to his brother, "Yes, I'd like to know that as well. Why is Adelaide here?" 

"I called her here. Although she isn't with you anymore, she is part of our family. She has a say in our decission for the cure." Niklaus explained. 

Elijah and Rebekah nodded. "That sounds fair." Rebekah said. 

Adelaide sat down on a chair, far away from Elijah while there was a chair right next to him. She smiled at Elijah before turning to Rebekah. "Rebekah, while that is a very nice reason to want the cure, I want to see first if you can be human. After all, it has been more than a thousand years since you were human."

"Fine, I made my decission." Elijah spoke, agreeing with Adelaide."I want you to live a day as a human. This day. No vampire privileges-- no strength, no compulsion, no nothing. If you succeed, if you still believe this is what you want, the cure is yours."

"Elijah, please." Klaus pleaded. 

"Your personal discomfort might not be sufficient reason for putting the entire world in jeopardy, Klaus. I think our sister deserves a shot at happiness." 

"Tell me you're joking. Tell me you're not fating me to an eternity of torture." 

"I made my decision." Elijah said with a tone that left no room for arguement. 

Klaus stood up and leaned down to speak to Rebekah. "When you're sick and dying, and you beg for my blood, I will laugh in your face and compel you to forget me." 

With that he left, and Adelaide watched him as he left. She patted Rebekah's hand. "I'll be talking to your brother. Maybe I can talk some sense into him." 

Rebekah smiled and Adelaide walked after Klaus. 

"Niklaus!" Adelaide called. 

"I'm in no mood for company." Was all he said. 

He just walked away and Adelaide groaned before she left the house. 

Later that night, Adelaide walks back in the house as she left her phone there. She heard voiced in the sitting room, so she went there. 

As she walked in she saw Elijah with the White Oak Stake. "What..." 

"Where did you get that?" Klaus asked. 

"Our baby sister. Once she's human...it'll make no difference to her whatsoever. Take it." Elijah offered the stake. 

"Why would you give me this?" Klaus asked suspiciously. 

"We are immortal apart from the stake. Now that it's yours, you have nothing to fear." Elijah explained. 

"Silas will continue to torment me." Klaus said as if it didn't matter. 

"Well, you've survived endless torments throughout the centuries. You'll shake this. And if you can't, you outrun him." Adelaide said. 

"Yes, it's that simple. Without the cure, what makes you think I'll spare your beloved Katerina? Or have you figured out you're simply another fly in her web?" Klaus said after he stopped laughing. 

"You will spare her because I am asking you to spare her. As your family, as your only living brother, I would ask that you provide me with this opportunity to feel, to care. To love." Elijah simply explained. 

Adelaide nodded. "Right..." She said before she took her phone, which laid on the cupboard. As she had it, she left after she saw Elijah's pained expression. 

Klaus and Elijah saw Adelaide leave. 

"I gave you that opportunity. And you sided against me. And Adelaide, you loved her but you left her, heartbroken. So if I run, it'll be to chase  Katerina. And as your only living brother, I will make it my cause that you never know a moment of happiness." 

"It is such a hollow little life that you lead, Niklaus." Elijah said. 

"You shouldn't have hurt Adelaide." Klaus said. 

"So you're going to side with her but against me, your own brother?" Elijah asked. 

"Yes, because you're in the wrong this time. You had your chance for happiness, but you didn't only ruin yours but also hers." Klaus pressed the stake against Elijah's chest a bit before Elijah pushed it away. "You will not know happiness anymore, but I'll make sure she does." 

After that, Elijah walked away, still thinking about what his brother said. He knew his brother was right. He did really ruin her happiness as well. 

He would have to make up for it.