Chapter 14

"You and Lieutenant Kuchiki will deploy on a mission with other members of the squad to take care of some pesky hollows in the human world," my eyes lit up brighter than the lights in the village festival, "They leave in one hour. You are dismissed."

I gave a very elated bow and rushed out of the room to the gates to the human world. Lieutenant Kuchiki mentioned something about going to the human world, but I didn't really understand as he muttered it to himself. It's hard to keep a straight face while being told you are going out after staying in for so long.

It's been three months since I first saw Hiyori, and ever since then, I made it a habit to meet up with her every week on my slowest days. Of course, her rude remarks never fail to be spoken, but it doesn't upset me because I know that deep inside, she really cares. I hope.

Bright rays of light shine through the windows of the corridor as I zoom past them, occasionally startling unseated officers. To this, I giggle to myself. At the end of the corridor is the entrance to Squad 5, so I slow down to a respectable speed, careful not to run into anyone. A sharp left then a bang, followed by pain on my rear end.

"I'm sorry!" I apologized, not opening my eyes to prevent sand from blinding me.

"Ehh," an awfully familiar voice said dully, "It's fine. Don't sweat it."

My lucky day, running straight into Squad 5's captain. I groan and get up, dusting off my sandy pants. "Are you-" I start.

"Yeah, I'm fine," another dull reply, "Whatcha doin' runnin' around so fast?"

"I was on my way to the gates to the human world. I'm finally going on a mission after nine months of running paper work back and forth," I reply with a bright smile which fell after realizing he wasn't really paying attention to me.

"Ahhh," he said in a bored tone as he continued to stare into the sky.

"Sir, may I ask, why you are staring into the sky?"

"No reason in particular," to this I gave a small ahh as a reply.

"Hello Kohaku," I turned around and saw Gin.

"Ah Gin! It's been a while huh?" I said, running and pulling him into a hug. Behind him was Aizen, "Hello Lieutenant!"

The air became a bit heavy for some reason and before Aizen could say anything, Captain Hirako said, "Shouldn't you be on your way to the gates?"

"Ahh! That's right! I forgot. See you guys later," I said as a smile made it's way onto my face from remembering my mission.

"Be careful," I heard Aizen say.

          Followed by a soft replied, "Quit messing around. Stay away from her. I don't want innocent people to end up being hurt by you." I couldn't put the words together after 'quit messing around' however and ended up shaking the encounter off.

        Finally reaching the gates, I saw Sojin waiting with a few men. "Not too late I hope," I said, standing next to them.

"Not at all. Are we all ready?" Sojin answered which was followed by a 'yes sir'.

With that, the gates were opened, and we took off. When we got there, the sky was lit with the moon light, silvery beams straying onto trees, casting long shadows. What a beautiful night for the slaying of hollows. I think my mind has become slightly deranged from the lack of training.

"We'll split up and take care of our assign sectors," He proceeded to inform us of our sectors, "I doubt you will have any trouble. There aren't many hollows so it should be easy. You are dismissed."