The Highway Moments

They only had coffee for breakfast in hope that it would cure them from their hangovers and had a quick dip again at the Sulphur bath to wake them up, especially Jerald who was the designated driver.

"Paps, pwede rin naman na magtake turns tayo sa driving kung di mo na kaya," Sam had offered, Alden nodded. "May Satellite Navigator naman tayo eh,"

"Pwede, kasi hindi ko kaya ang 6 hours na biyahe papuntang Sipalay," Jerald replied, looking relieved.
-
They left Mambukal just after lunch, with Jerald driving the first hour. The second hour he couldn't take it anymore and had asked Alden to take over since he had taken three cups of coffee.

Sam wanted to drive but he developed a terrible headache and Valeen had to get out her medicine box and gave him something to put him to sleep. He and Jerald sat at the back, and had the whole space to stretch their legs. Maine was asked to sit in the front seat next to Alden to help him stay awake since she was the most awake from all the girls and the guys knew that if Maine was seated next to Alden, he would never miss that moment and it was also a chance for them to actually talk. Maine didn't seem to mind since Patricia and Valeen were sleeping.

"Kung naantok ka na, pwede rin naman ako mag take over," Maine offered.

Alden shook his head, "Kaya ko to, Meng" He replied, "Kwentohan mo ako,"

"About?" Maine asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Three years din tayo di nag usap, ano ang nagbago? Kumusta na sila tita Mary Ann and Tito Teddy?" he asked,

Maine smiled weakly at the mention of her parents. They were OK, nothing changed they were still workaholics and since her graduation and she got her dream job, she barely saw them- she would only see them on special occassions and when they go on their annual Christmas holiday abroad. She missed them though, she had two extra days off after this holiday and she made a mental note to go visit them in Bulacan as soon as she arrived back in Manila.

"Si Matti, malaki na. Three years old na, si Kuya Nico nakasal na last year so minsan lang kami nagkikita," Maine answered, Alden gave her a quick glance to see that her eyes were sad, "Si Ate Coleen is abroad, so kami na lang ni Dean palagi magkasama since we live together sa condo ko, but we still go abroad for Christmas holiday. This year ata sa Australia kami kasi nandon si Ate Coleen," she told him.

He nodded. "Busy na lahat ah, pero buti na maintain niyo pa rin iyon annual Christmas trip niyo."

Maine nodded, smiling but she looked out the window sadly. "Ikaw? Kumusta family mo?" She asked,

Alden shrugged, "Si daddy iyon pa rin, lagi kang hinahanap kahit three years ko na sinasabe sa kanya na we weren't on speaking terms kahit hanggang ngayon inaasar ako- I tried dating other girls pero wala daw may makakapantay sayo," Alden told her, embarrassed.

Maine laughed, "Si Tito Ricky (A/N: Alden Richards kasi iyon name ni Alden dito hindi Richard Faulkerson Jr.. haha hindi naman pwede Richard Richards diba? 😂) talaga, nakakamiss din," she wiped the tears in her eyes. The fact that Alden's father still rooted for her made her smile, she met him when she had to come over to Richards' house so she and Alden could do their project together. Alden had introduced her as his friend, but his father already detected that his son was pursuing her.

"Ang kulet nga eh!" Alden laughed along with her.

There was a few seconds of silence as they gathered their own thoughts. They really had a good time back then, everything was so smooth; everything was almost perfect, they were both accepted by each others' families but where did it all go wrong? Why did he give in to temptations, why did he let his ego win him over?