Chapter 1!

Marks POV:

Today was a good day. I removed a tumour from a young dying patient and saved his life and his face. Today was a good day. I'm on my way to Joe's to meet Lexie for a drink. We've been going steady for a while now. Then later on me and Callie are meeting up at my apartment and were gonna have a friends night in.

I reach the bar and I walk inside. I look around until I see Lexie from across the bar. She looks at me and smiles and motions for me to come over with her hand. I smile back and make my way over to her.

"Hey Mark!" She greets as she stands up and embraces me in a hug. I hug her back. We both release each other and sit down.

"Hey Lex. How was your day?"

"My day was amazing. I got to observe this really cool aneurism with Derek today. He left me make the cut and drink through the whole." I listen to Lexie go on about her amazing surgery. I love listening to her talk.

"How was your day?" She asks after she finishes talking about her surgery, which took a while I might add.

"My day was good. But now it's perfect." I tell her and she blushes. Just as I'm about to order us another round I hear my phone ring. I check it, Callie. I answer.

"Hello?" I answer.

"Hey I went by your apartment on my way home and there was a little girl sitting on the bed watching cartoons. I thought you should know." Callie explains to me. Wtf? A little girl? Why is there a little girl in my house?!.

"Thanks Torres. I'll be there in a bit." I tell her and hang up.

"Sorry Lex. Something came up and I gotta go. I'll see you at the hospital tomorrow. On call room?"

"Promise?" She asks me. I chuckle.

"Promise." And I walk out of the bar. I grab a taxi to my apartment building. I walk up to my apartment and open the door. I see Callie there with the little girl.

"Callie? Why are you still here?" I ask her as I lay my keys down.

"I couldn't just leave her alone Mark. But now your here, I'm gonna go. I'll see you at work tomorrow."

"Bye." I say and then she's gone.

"Hi." I say to the little girl as I sit down next to her on the bed. "What's your name?" I ask her. She looks at me.

"Hallie Sloan." She says. My eyes go wide. Sloan?!?.

"How old are you?" I ask her. She holds up 4 fingers.

"What's your mommy and daddy's name?"

"My mommy's name is Sarah and I never met my daddy but my mommy told me his name was Mark. He's a doctor. A good one. He saves people's lives. My daddy's a hero!" She tells me and I couldn't help but smile.

"Do you know who I am?" I ask her. She shakes her head.

"Who?"

"I'm Mark Sloan." I tell her. Her eyes go wide and her lips form the biggest smile humanly possible.

"Daddy? Is it really you?" She asks with tears building up and her voice slightly breaking. I feel my eyes get watery and my vision become burry and I nod. She wraps her little arms and my neck and hugs me tight.

"I love you, daddy." She says into my shoulder. I hug her back.

"I love you too sweetie." I tell her.

We stay like that for a while, me holder in my arms, singing her and rocking her.

"Daddy, what time is it?" She asks me.

"It's 10, why do you ask?" I ask her. Her eyes go wide.

"I'm supposed to be in bed. But I can't go to sleep without doing mine and mommy's special thing and mommy's not here! Daddy, Mommas not here!! Daddy!!" She cries into my chest. The poor baby. What the hell happened to Sarah?.

I just held my little girl in my arms, rocking her back and forth, singing and soothing her, her little Body tRembling with sobs. Eventually she cried herself to sleep. I gently pull back the covers and lay her down. I pull the covers back over her and kiss her forehead.

"Well make our own special thing. I promise. Daddy loves you baby and he's never gonna leave you." I tell her and I walk over to her bag and look through it.

I search through her stuff and I stumble across a letter. It reads 'to Mark.' I open it and sit down and read it.

Dear Mark,
I hope you don't get too upset that I never told you about Hallie. I thought it was better if you never knew. You had your career to think about and I had my life to sort out. It never would have worked anyway. Please forgive me, Mark.
Why now, your probably asking yourself. Why after all these years tell me I had a daughter. Well, Mark the answers simple. I'm sick. I was diagnosed with leukaemia 14 months ago. I refused treatment cause I knew it would alone make me sicker and i knew I'd never get better. I wanted to spend the rest of my time here, being able to do what I wanted to do and live my life and spend as much time with Hallie as I possibly could. Last week I went to the doctor and I was told that my cancer had progressed that much that I only had a little more than week to live. I needed closure and time to say goodby to my baby and then I did the hardest thing I ever had to do. Let her go. I couldn't have Hallie around and watch me die. I couldn't do it, Mark. I looked you up and I brought her to your hotel room and said goodbye.
Please take care of her Mark. I don't want her to go live with some strangers when she has a father that I know will love her and protect her and be there for her when I couldn't anymore. Tell her I'm sorry that i had to leave her and that i didn't want too. Most importantly, Mark, tell her I love her with all my heart and soul.
And Mark, I never stopped loving you. Ever. But I had to let you go and let the world know what an amazing person you are. It was selfish to keep you from doing amazing things and one day saving the world.
I love you, Mark Sloan, with every thing I have.
Goodbye,
Sarah.

After I put the letter down, tears were steaming down my face. How do I tell my sweet innocent baby girl her mommy's dead?