Prologue

Anna wake up!  yells a voice in my head.

My head begins pounding just as I jump up into a sitting position and start coughing. Smoke engulfed the room as I shifted against the raggedy bed. The room was dark and the only light that shined came from underneath the door as a faint beeping noise sounded off somewhere in the room. Pulling against the restraints on my wrist I yanked on them until the old ties gave way. Standing up my leg’s wobbled as I braced myself against the wall. 

Come back to me. pleads a familiar voice in my head as I walked around the dark room padding down the walls trying to find the door.

Was it still locked? I thought as I found the door, gripping the handle to turn the lock, which to my surprise, opened without any struggle. I began coughing as I stepped into the hallway. Flames ate away at the stairs as I looked around searching for a way out. Pulling my shirt over my mouth I coughed as I hear, “Anna!” being yelled from outside. Turning around I saw a window down the hall and ran to it. Standing outside in the rain stood a tall figure wearing a dark trench coat, as water dripped from his hair.

“Annabelle you have to jump!” he yells.

The flames licked at the hallway passing the room I was just in as he yells again, “Quick! You have to jump!”

Looking down from the second story of the cabin I looked to the ground as I gripped the railing, heights were never my thing and that sure wasn’t going to help the situation at hand now.

“Annabelle jump!” 

“I can’t!” I yell closing my eyes.

“Don’t worry I’ll catch you!”

Despite the situation at hand I realized how calm he was and how close he felt, regardless of the fact he was on the ground, and exactly 20 feet from the window. Taking a quick glance back at the hallway I could see the flames as it begins swallowing the hallway behind me. Stepping over the railing I placed my hands behind me, feeling like I was Rose from the titanic.

“You don’t have much time!”

Taking in a deep breath I let go of the rail, squatted down a bit as I started to jump. Something popped in the room as the flames grew. The beeping sound in the distant died down as I looked back at the figure.

"Jump!" he yelled.

Jumping from the railing something exploded behind me. The blast set off and blew hot air against me, sailing me straight for the trees. I screamed as the figure below me swore, I covered my face ready to go head first into the tree, but to my surprise I never made contact.