Chapter One

Frankie walked, whistling a tune that came to mind as he sauntered through the dark, gloomy alleyway. Nobody was out, for it was half past one in the morning.

A rustle in the bushes caught the seventeen-year-old boy off guard. He jumped, frightened, then turned to where he had heard it from.

He questioned his choice of taking a shortcut to get home, pondering for a short time on the horror movies that always start off so innocently. His heartbeat picked up pace as he took slow steps away from the bush.

He walked, thinking about what could possibly be in the bushes.

A shrill voice cried excitedly, "Boo!"

Turning to the bush, Frankie stepped backwards a couple times, frightened by the loud noise. When he was able to make out the person's face with the help of the dim lights that the alleyway had, he sighed in relief. It was just his friend, Kayla.

"What the hell Kayla?" He was livid once he gained his composure back, rubbing at his face and clenching at his chest where the quickened pace of his heartbeat originated. His friend bursted out into a fit of giggles, as she always did after she pulled a prank on Frankie. "That wasn't funny. I could've had a heart attack!" He said, a little louder than he did before.

Frankie, the lover of jokes and pranks, knew that this one had gone too far. He was, as predicted by Kayla, absolutely shaken up.

Frankie knew that it would happen again some time soon. Kayla was unpredictable with how far she'd take a simple prank.

"But - your f-face!" She exclaimed, gasping for air. Frankie stood there, looking uninterested in what she was saying. After years of this occurring, one would think he would get used to it, but Kayla always pranked people in the most bizarre times; when they least expect it. "Okay, okay, let's go." She uttered when she finally stopped guffawing at her latest prank's participant.

Frankie may have looked annoyed, but he could never be truly livid at Kayla. The brown eyed girl was always his friend, and now she had grown on him. He's even found that he has developed what he thinks is one-sided feelings for her.

And so, Kayla tagged along with Frankie who resumed his walk home. Frankie didn't usually go out this late, but he didn't exactly plan on leaving his friend's house this late. He hadn't wanted to stay the night with them either so he walked back home; not having enough money for a taxicab.

Truly, it is a wonder how Kayla managed to be her usual excitable self at two in the morning.

The next day, Frankie did what he normally did, walked to school. It was only a few streets down from his house and so his mum had always let him walk. But today Frankie didn't reach his school. Instead, he got pulled into a van.

"Hey! Watch i- What're you-!" Just as he was about to call for help the man with a mask gagged him, pushing him farther into the van. It didn't help that he left his house without Kayla because she was taking too long. The man that had gagged him sat next to the boy, crossing his arms. Frankie slowly fell out of consciousness as the smell that the gag exuded reached his nose and left him lightheaded.

Kayla rushed to school, just barely making it in time for class. She only had lunch and last period with Frankie, so the girl didn't expect a thing. She sat through class after class, chatting animatedly to her other friends.

[∆∆∆]

Frankie finally gained conscious. He groggily tried to say something but couldn't for the gag was yet to be removed from his mouth. And so he struggled to get his hands loose from the rope that tied them around his back.