Chapter 2: It's Not 1945

2. It's Not 1945

"Hey," Shayley said cheerfully as she approached Austin and I at his locker.

"Hey," Austin muttered back.

"What's got you all grumpy?" she asked hitting him playfully on his shoulder.

"I'm not grumpy, I'm tired," he said before turning to me. "How are you doing this?"

I shrugged. "Coffee?"

"Well let this be a lesson kids," Shayley joked sarcastically, pinching his cheek.

He rolled his eyes and smacked her hand away.

"Shall we?" she asked. I had English with her.

"Yeah," I responded. "Later Austin."

He mumbled a later and Shayley and I got going.

*********

About 30 minutes into the lesson the class' focus was shifted. when someone walked in. Shawn Mitchell was his name. School's 'bad boy.' You could see girls fanning themselves over how amazingly hot he was. He was good looking, don't get me wrong, but the way people made it the biggest deal ever just confused me. He ran his fingers through his dark brown hair as he took a seat two seats behind Shayley, who was in the row next to mine.

"Mr. Mitchell care to explain your lateness?" Mr. Howard asked sternly folding his arms.

Shawn shrugged. "I overslept," he said dryly with his slight Australian accent.

"Mr. Mitchell I'll have you know this behaviour will not be tolerated any longer. It has been going on for far too long," Mr. Howard added still with a stern voice.

Shawn simply smirked at him. "Look it won't happen again."

"You said that last week," Mr. Howard said.

Shawn just shrugged. "Maybe I mean it this time."

A few people laughed and the teacher just sighed.

I rolled my eyes and shook my head. Who does he think he is?

Mr. Howard just sighed. "Just turn in your homework," he said.

"Oh that...um.." Shawn began. "I think my dog ate it." More people were laughing now. My dog ate my homework? Seriously?

"And that's your excuse?" Mr. Howard questioned, arching an eyebrow.

"Well it's all I got now so yeah, it's my excuse," Shawn replied.

"Detention Shawn, after school," Mr. Howard said and we returned to the lesson.

Detention? That wasn't going to do anything. The guy has been to detention more times than anyone could count. It just gave him a chance to hang out with his fellow delinquents. Well not all are, I mean Shay and Austin have spent a lot of afternoons there too. Jessica got into trouble only a few times, but the other two were complete trouble makers.

**********

"Jess, how was your Calculus test?" I asked as she approached Shayley and I after class.

"Well," she said. "I think that's one class I'm failing."

Math was never really her strong suit, according to Jess herself. Personally I thought if she tried to at least stay awake it would help.