Part 5 - Charged

Part 5 - Charged

He was in the tiny shower cubicle when he heard his communication pager beeping from his jacket. He was being requested to attend the Captain in his quarters immediately. Suppressing a sinking feeling, he dressed hastily and made his way there as quickly as he could. He was not terribly surprised to see Harper standing near the Captain, he had not seemed decent enough to keep their altercation private. Harpers' jaw was swollen and he seemed to have trouble standing straight. Kent felt unreasonably cheered. 

The Captain himself looked half angry and half worried. "Come in Lieutenant, we've been waiting for you for nearly ten minutes." 

"I'm sorry sir, I was in the shower. I came as soon as I heard the call." 

"Yes, well the fact is that Major Harper has made a rather serious accusation about you. He claims that you assaulted him, is that true?" 

"Yes sir, but...uh..did you say Major Harper?" 

"Yes I did. Didn't you know that?" 

"No sir! I believed he was a Second Lieutenant, the same rank as me." Kent felt waves of coldness sweeping over him. He had assaulted a superior officer! 

"Are you certain of that? Because Major Harper insists he has proof that you knew he outranked you." 

"Begging the Majors pardon sir, I don't see how that could be. I swear I didn't know until you just told me." 

"Well I must say it seems very irregular that you hit him knowing that he outranked you! In fact it seems odd that you hit him at all! You don't think Major that perhaps you could have misinterpreted your evidence?" 

"No Captain, there's no doubt about it. I am sure you will have to agree with me when you hear it at the court martial." Both of the officers before him were shocked. 

"Court martial Major? Do you think the offence warrants that? Couldn't we deal with it here and now, an apology perhaps?" Matthews was almost pleading, despite what Harper said he felt sure Kent had not known what he was doing. 

Harper looked coldly at him. "You don't seem to understand Captain Matthews. I am formally charging Lieutenant Kent with assault and I demand a full trial, not a closed hearing. I want to see that young puppy thrashed within an inch of his life!" 

The Captain recoiled as if from a hidden viper. 

"Major Harper, let me remind you that I am the Captain of this ship and that this man is still an officer of it. I will not have him referred to in that way!" His voice was icy cold. "Unfortunately I have no alternative but to accede to your demand for a court martial. However, I will have to contact Sirius Space Station for officiators. I will be a witness for Lieutenant Kent if required."  

"Very well Captain, although this case will be quite straightforward, as my recording will show!" 

"Recording?" the word was a horrified gasp from Kent. 

"Exactly. Recording. The record of our conversation this afternoon will be a most important piece of evidence." He smiled maliciously at both men. "I shall retire to my quarters now Captain Matthews, please keep me informed about the officiators." 

When he had left, Kent gave way to an agonised, "Oh my God!" He shut his eyes. 

"What's the matter Lieutenant? Did you know he was a major?" Matthews was badly worried. 

"No sir, it's that recording. Can't we stop him from using it?" 

"I'm afraid not. What on Earth did you say which upsets you so much?" 

Kent opened his mouth, and shut it again. He couldn't tell Matthews that! He blushed at the thought and then went white. The Captain was going to hear it anyway at the trial, everyone was going to hear him say that if the Captain wanted him he could have him. No! It was too much, he couldn't take that. He swung back to Matthews. 

"What would happen to me if I pleaded guilty sir?" The other man was staggered. 

"You heard what he said, probably a flogging, as a private. There's still a chance they'd want to hear that recording, if that's what you were wondering." He cleared his throat and said tightly. "I don't want you whipped. Let him play the damned recording." 

Kent clenched his fists, it didn't seem as if he had a choice anyway. He'd try and speak to the officiators before the trial, surely they wouldn't want it played in open court if they knew what was on it.