225g/8oz/2 cups plain (all-purpose) flour
30ml/2tbsp cocoa powder
60ml/4 tbsp caster (superfine) sugar
115g/4oz or 1/2 cup unsalted butter
60ml/4 tbsp dry sherry
For the filling
2 egg yolks
115g/4oz or 1/2 cup caster (superfine) sugar
500g/ 1 and 1/4 lb/2and 1/2 cups ricotta cheese
Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
90ml/6 tbsp dark chocolate chips
75ml/5tbsp chopped candied peel
45ml/3 tbsp chopped Angelica
1. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius/400 degrees Celsius/Gas 6. Soft the flour and cocoa into a bowl and add the sugar. Rub in the butter until the mixture resembles crumbs, then work in the sherry to bind a firm dough
2. Roll out three-quarters of the pastry on a lightly floured surface and line a 24cm/9 and 1/2 in loose-based flan tin.
3. Make the filling. Beat the egg yolks and sugar in a bowl, then beat on the ricotta to mix thoroughly. Stir in the lemon zest, chocolate chips, candied peel and Angelica.
4. Scrape the ricotta mixture into the pastry case and level the surface. Roll our the remaining pastry and cut into strips, then arrange these in a lattice over the pie.
5. Bake for 15 minutes, then lower the oven temperature to 180 degrees Celsius/ 350 degrees Fahrenheit /Gas 4 and cook for a further 30-35 minutes, until golden brown and firm. Cool on tin.
Credits to: Christine France (book is titled: Chocolate Heaven)
Note: picture is found inside of the cookbook