Chapter One: The Start of Something Not-So-New

Hello! Yes, you're reading correctly - this is another Spies in Shoes book!! I can't believe I'm doing this, I've been holding out against it for so long, but I did conveniently leave myself a loophole in the plot to start a fourth book, and I haven't been able to get very far on the latest book I'm writing, so I thought I needed to go back to this just to keep the creative juices flowing. Plus, I love these characters. So yes! Book four. This seems crazy. I hope you all remember everything that happened in the other three. If not - you know Nat likes to recap haha. I hope you guys are super excited for this, please shoot me a comment and let me know what you think of the first chapter! Pic of Nat up there.

Merry Christmas!!! (this is my Christmas present to you guys haha)

Gracias! <3 vb123321

Chapter One

The Start of Something Not-So-New

The sun beat down on my neck and shoulders, scorching my skin and adding to my tan, but it wasn't nearly as hot as the boy who held my hand.

Okay, give me a break. I tried to start this thing poetically, in a way that most books start, just to throw you off, but it's harder than it sounds. Plus it's not really my style, is it? So I take that bit back (although the hot part is true, unfortunately).

In case you've forgotten – spies. Basically everyone I know.

That boy? Current espionage status is kind of unknown, but that doesn't really change how attractive he is.

Oh, and it's been almost a year since all this began. Try to keep up.

But, yeah, it was super hot outside as Zach and I strolled along hand in hand, our flip-flops slapping against the sun-toasted grounds of Navy Pier. I'd had my doubts that Zach could work flip-flops, but somehow they looked great on him. He'd gotten pretty tan over the summer too, so that his green eyes glowed as he scanned the clear waters of Lake Michigan in a manner more carefree than any I'd seen from him lately.

I'd arrived in Chicago the day before for a week-long visit to my brother Jer and his family before school started at the end of August, which was approaching all too quickly. Zach had the afternoon free – although free from what, exactly, was pretty unclear – and so Jer had graciously allowed him to pick me up. As it was our first official date since Zach had came back, I was equal bits thrilled and nervous.

Zach hadn't been the most fun guy to be around the past couple weeks, but he seemed fine, his expression interested as we window-shopped through the plethora of street vendors, commenting occasionally on how ridiculous the prices were. He even laughed when I told him the story of how I'd rescued a goat during my trip to the Rockies a few weeks prior; I'd have been mad if he hadn't since that really is a fabulous story.

We weren't talking about spies or bad guys or secret files or anything like that. We were just two normal teenaged kids out on a date, and I couldn't have been happier.

"Have you ever been on the Ferris wheel?" I asked him, checking to make sure the bun in my hair wasn't messed up as we passed a booth of mirrors. "It's famous."

"No, never." Zach craned his neck to admire the huge wheel. "Maybe we can hit that up next, yeah? But I'm dying of thirst – you want something to drink?"

I agreed fervently, and we headed over to a cart selling various drinks and ice cream bars. Zach pulled his wallet out of the pocket of his khaki shorts before I could offer to pay, waving aside my thanks as he handed me a Coke. (Yes, Zach in khaki shorts; I hadn't thought it was a thing either, but it wasn't a bad look.)