Chapter 1

Author's Note : Before you start reading, please note that this book only contains the first four chapters as sample.

================================================================================

Chapter 1

"Mr. King will be with you in a minute." A tall woman with black, straight hair gave her a once over with a slightly displeased pout but hid it instantly, continuing with a forced smile. "He's sorry for the delay, but please, have a seat; someone will bring you coffee while you wait." She gestured to the seats in the lounge before returning to her own behind the reception desk, and started clacking up a storm on the computer, ignoring her presence.

Which delay was he apologizing for? Mia wondered, a little frustrated.

Her two-inch heels made no sound on the rich oriental carpet as she decided to look around the lounge, too nervous to sit down. The room was spacious, all modern chrome and glass. The walls were decorated with different kinds of abstract paintings and modern art. She wandered a bit, observing the art from various artists, but a Renaissance scene grabbed her attention for a bit, making her wonder about his taste in art. She lingered there a little, then moved on to a billboard touting the company's accomplishments. The name pierced her like a startling scream.

Alien, yet familiar.

Right there, yet so far away.

Gymnosperms. Angiosperms.

She nervously repeated botany terms in her head to stay calm and sighed, tamping down her apprehension, Then, as her eyes rolled towards the heavens for courage they were drawn to the well-lit crystal chandelier, bedazzling and smug, casting an otherworldly glow on the room.

'Just as lavish as its owner'.

She was counting the crystal, but her admiring session came to a halt as someone entered and left a coffee cup on the table.

Walking over, she picked up her cup and stood in front of the full-length glass window, observing her reflection in it.

She didn't look half bad, Mia thought, adjusting her black, square-rimmed glasses. She was in her best rose-colored dress, which wasn't exactly va-va-voom stunning, but practical and pretty enough. Her flyaway hair was restrained in a sensible bun, and the minimal makeup she wore to cover up her freckles wasn't smudged.

She looked calm and controlled, but it was everything she wasn't feeling today.

Conifers. Cycads.

She busied her mind again, going over the members of the tree family, a neat trick she'd come up with to settle her nerves before tests.

How long has it been? Two years and nine... no, almost ten months now.

Long enough that he was practically a stranger.

"Ma'am, you can go in now." She whirled around to see a red, manicured nail pointing right to the hallway. "Last door at the end," the receptionist said in a cold voice, then ignored her and returned back to the clackety-clack sound indicating she resumed her typing.

She tossed away her paper cup in a trash can and strode along the hallway. At the end of it, she came across an extravagantly designed door that ran from ceiling to floor. And those walls weren't standard either; stretching at least double, if not triple the average height, making the plaque that read CEO appear more daunting than a dare off a bridge.

She tapped on the solid door, the noise ringing out, sounding larger than life, echoing down the hallway.

Maidenhair. Hardwoods.