Chapter 11: Roles

Chapter 11

"Good," Tom mused as he eyed his followers steadily from the head of the long table. "Everything seems to be on track. You've done well. If things go according to plan, I think we may finally be on the way to establishing ourselves as a respected organisation."

A murmur of satisfaction rippled through the ranks, each member basking in the rare glow of Riddle's approval. They hung on his every word, vying for that fleeting nod of acknowledgment, their loyalty fuelled by the sheer force of him.

It amused him – the power he had. The lengths these people would go just to receive a nod of approval as a reward for their troubles. He could make them do anything, and they'd do it without question. He adored it. He was like a puppeteer pulling all the strings. They wouldn't dare defy him of refuse his wishes because he knew exactly how to snap those strings and send them crashing to the ground without even the thinnest support line.

"That will be all for today," Tom said finally, and the chairs began to scrape against the wooden floor, and one by one his followers flooded out of the large black doors.

Tom leant back in his chair and sighed as he idly rubbed the black-stoned ring on his finger. He lifted his gaze towards Alden who was the only member who stayed behind.

Tom tapped a finger on the table and eyed the clock above the roaring fireplace. "She said she was coming?"

"She wasn't pleased, but she agreed, yes." Alden replied as he glanced at the clock once more. Five minutes late. "It wouldn't surprise me if she was waiting until the latest possible minute to arrive just to annoy you."

Tom let out a slight breath of amusement before he caught Alden's curious eye and his expression hardened immediately.

He cleared his throat. "If she's not here in five minutes you will bring her to me. I don't care if you have to drag her down the stairs."

Alden nodded.

They waited in silence, not a single exchange was spoken between Alden and Tom as the only sound that echoed around the large meeting room was the tapping of Alden's finger on the table, the roaring howls of the fire and the thrashing of the wind against the tall windows.

His patience was running out as he twirled his wand around his fingers, his chest tightening as a dwelling anger threatened to emerge.

He shouldn't tolerate it. He knew very well that she was late on purpose. Alden was right – she was doing it to annoy him. She knew exactly where to target. She knew his weaknesses and he despised that. She knew exactly how to drag the knife against the strings of his patience and sever them enough for them to break but not snap completely.

And then he heard the faint sound of footsteps from the other side of those tall doors before they swung open.

His body tensed as his eyes fell on her, closing the doors behind her with a casual wave of her hand as she stalked towards them.

He watched her, taking in the way her eyes were idly scanning the room to examine her surroundings, and it hit him just how much she'd changed. Everything about her was different. She walked with smoke at her heels and fight at her back, like there was a constant threat around every corner and she would be more than happy to face it.

His eyes narrowed as he took in the tiniest little smirk that tugged at her lip as their eyes met. It was a winning little grin that Tom knew was the result of his expression. His face was undoubtedly as hard and displeased as ever. But that's exactly what she wanted – and she took enjoyment out of displeasing him. And there it was, that challenging little flame in her grey eyes that made something within Tom flicker in a combating burn of hate and intrigue.