The Boy Found on Willow St.-Chapter 36

"Sophie, we have to go." Without another thought my eyes snapped open and I met those bright blue ones.

                He pulled me up and we ran passed the string of hollering men. Some were yelling sickening words, but most were looking back to the stage. Shally was talking with a rather revealing outfit. For someone her age, she looked good. With Johns hand still gripping mine we ran passed some guards, but the horney men kept them at bay. Finally we exited the horrible room and into a hallway. John threw open the first door and thankfully, it was empty. A small bed and dresser sat snugly in the room. It was illuminated by an over head light bulb. This must be where one of the thugs slept. John was leaning against the door with his back to me. I looked around and saw another door. I walked towards it and opened the rotten door. A tiny sink and toilet were fastened to the walls. I closed the door and walked out.

                John turned towards me and stopped. His lips were cut and his right eye had a nice shiner on it. But it wasn't his face that scared me. His arms were all bruised up and bleeding, his shirt was ripped up. John started walking towards me, but stopped halfway. I closed the gap between us and looked up at him. He looked distant, as though a wall had been built between us. I decided to take the first step and reached out, gripping his hand gently. His eyes traveled down to our interlocked hands and he pulled his away.

"What did they do?" John asked placing his hand onto my cheek. I pressed my head against it and felt a tear break through my eye. I wrapped my arms around his neck and hugged him. I took in a deep breath and relished his body against mine.

"Nothing." I mumbled into his neck.

"Sophie." John said, anger filling his voice. He pulled away and looked down at my arms. I looked down with him and saw all the bruises Benji had left.    

"John, it's nothing." I said hugging him again, this time strengthening my grip around him. "Please."

                He wrapped his arms around my waist, hugging me back. I closed my eyes and rested for just a second. The headache I felt before started up again and I groaned.

"What is it?" John asked pulling me away.

"Just a migraine." I mumbled and sunk my head back into him. I willed the pain to go away and it subsided after a few minutes.

"We need to go." John whispered soothingly and I shook my head.

"We can't go anywhere, you're hurt." I said pushing aside John's shirt.

"We don't have time." He said pulling away.

"No." I said matching his step.

"Fine." He sighed.

"Thank you." I said and looked around for a rag to clean his wounds. I took the top sheet off the bed and pointed at it for John to sit. He complied and sat down onto the bed. I took the sheet into the bathroom and turned on the sink. It made a funny noise and dirt colored water started pouring out. After a few seconds the water cleared and I put the cloth under. It soaked up the water and I rung it out. John was sitting on the bed and was staring at the door.

"Relax." I said sitting down beside him. I set the cloth onto the bed and helped John take off the tattered shirt. I gasped when my eyes saw all the cut marks on his back. "What happened?"

"I can wash myself." John said taking the rag and flinched from the quick movement.  

"Okay." I said taking it back from him. I crossed my legs and with gentle hands started washing away at his wounds. From scrapes to cuts, I cleaned each and everyone. A long knife wound spanned from his upper back to the middle. I cringed and let out a slow breath. My hands moved over his body and brushed against his warm skin. Making sure not to hurt him I cleaned everything and placed the sheet down.

"How is it?" I asked and I looked down at his chest.

"Better, thanks." He said gripping the tattered shirt.

"What are you doing?" I asked taking hold of the shirt.

"Putting on the my shirt?" He questioned.

"It's dirty, you might infect your wounds." I said looking into his baby blues.

"What will I wear?" He asked pointing to the button on the shirt.

"I got it." I said and motioned for him to take it off. He nodded and in seconds took off the button.

"Do you think this guy has any shirts hidden away?" I asked looking about. I opened the dresser and a black t-shirt was the first thing I saw. "Here."

"Let's go." He said after pulling on the shirt. It was tight fit, but it was a fit nonetheless.   

"Do you know where to go?" I asked and he nodded.       

                John stepped in front of me and eased open the door. He stuck out his head and motioned for me to follow. I fell in line behind him and we started walking down the bright lit hall. The carpet was plush and felt soft against my feet. We walked fast, but whenever we approached a corner John would slow. After making sure the coast was clear we would continue on our way.

"-where could she be?" I heard a familiar voice. John told me to stop and balled his hands into fists.

"Iunno'" It was the two men who led me to the stage. I put my hand onto his back and stepped in front of him.

"I got this." I mumbled, he tried to pull me back, but I pulled away.

"There you are!" I said stepping out from behind the corner.