Sneaks and Weasels

Chapter Seven – Sneaks and Weasels

            "I'll be fine," I told Devyn, all but shoving her out my front door.

            "But –"

            "Leave!" I yelled, causing Dexter to growl.

            She held her hands up. "I'm going, I'm going. We work together tomorrow night by the way," she said before flouncing out of the apartment.

            Sighing, I sagged against the door once it was shut. Devyn had insisted that we walk around more after lunch. So we had, but that left me with only an hour to try and get ready for work and make it there in time. It wasn't possible. Shifting myself into high gear, I ran into my bedroom and changed into my uniform. Leaving my hair in its bun, I moved into the bathroom and swiped some mascara over my lashes and lined my eyes. Glancing in the mirror, I decided it would have to do.

            Purse in hand, I hollered a goodbye to Dexter and locked my door before barreling towards the door to the street. Once I hit the pavement I slowed down a little because running in heels on concrete was never the best idea for me. Hastening along at a brisk pace, I made my way through the streets in the dimming light.

            Damn Devyn and her constantly making me lose track of time. I had never been late for any other reason besides Dexter. Since I started taking him with me around a year prior there hadn't been a single time that I was late. How was I supposed to explain to Dante that our best friend decided to keep me out all day? He'd never believe me. He would assume I had had a run in with the gang and probably hire a security team for me.

            The sound of an engine behind me caught my attention. Stopping, I waited for the familiar SUV to roll to a stop beside me. For the first time I was elated to see it. "Lucas, you couldn't possibly have better timing!" I exclaimed as the heavily tinted window began to roll down when I reached the car.

            Forest green eyes met mine once the window was out of the way. My mouth fell open and the slightest of smiles tilted Vincent's lips. "Happy to see me, princess?" he asked.

            "I thought you were Lucas."

            "Obviously."

            "What're you doing here?"

            "I'm on my way to your work," he said before his eyes ran over my clothes. "Looks like you are too."

            Glancing behind him and farther back in the car, I realized that it was empty. "You're alone?" I questioned.

            "Business meeting, just me they need to talk to."

            "Not in my work," I said, narrowing my eyes at him.

            "Nothing too bad," he replied, that ghost smile flashing across his face again. "C'mon, get in."

            "I'll walk," I blurted, taking a step back from the SUV. I would take being late for work over being alone in a car with Vincent any day.

            He narrowed his eyes at me. "We're going to the same place, princess. I'm just trying to save you a long ass walk."

            Biting my lip, I glanced down the street. At this time of day, there was no one out on the streets. Everyone was already where they wanted to be. "I –"

            "Juliette," he snapped, cutting me off before I could even offer up an excuse. "Get in the damn car or I will get out and force you in."