Twenty Eight: In Which She Discovers Her Own Demons

Remember to follow, vote and comment!

[ B L A I R E ' S P O V ]

The next morning, I get a text from Mr. Forman's secretary, informing me that he has returned from his two-week business trip and said that she could book an appointment for me sometime this week at my convenience.

    "Oh my god," I murmur at my phone, heaving myself up into a sitting position on my bed. I hadn't expected any type of response from Mr. Forman that fast. Or maybe I felt like it was fast because time passed by in a blink of an eye for me. I've been so deliriously happy with Jax that I almost forgot my own agendas at hand.

    "Holy shit," I say, can't quite believing that I'm getting a reply from Mr. Forman. Well, to be more specific, it's his secretary, but same difference. This means that there's a chance that he'll be willing to represent me.

     A small frown tugs at my lips at the thought of that. Yes, I should be happy that he might take my case but there's still one problem and that has been plaguing me for almost two months now: I still don't have enough money.

    The past two robberies I did had not given me the sufficient funds that I need. And if I don't have enough money, Mr. Forman might lose interest in me. I've been on the streets long enough to know that money talks, and if there's none of that, people walk. I can't risk it.

    He's the best lawyer in the state and he's the best chance—the only chance—I have to getting Eden.

    Just the thought of having Eden back for good makes my heart flutter. I see now that the future will be bright for us. No, scratch that. The three of us. Me, Eden and Jax. With my salaries coming in from me being Jax's bodyguard, hopefully I'll be able to get us a nice apartment. Baxton would probably make us stay in the mansion but I can't do that anymore—not when I've clearly overstayed my welcome by not only getting a job from him but also screwing his son.

    Yeah no. When I have Eden, things are going to change. Hopefully for the better.

    And I can start doing that by calling Mr. Forman's secretary back.

    Beside me, Jax stirs quietly, the sheets moving along with him. His body jerks so he switches now, his face now facing me. He yawns when his eyes flutter open, and he rolls his hands into fists to rub his eyes. One of them accidentally brushes against his stitches and he winces, pain overtaking him.

    "Fuck, that hurt." Jax groans, lightly tapping the stitched wound. "Are the stitches still intact?"

    I move closer so that I can inspect him. "Yeah. You're good."

    "Thanks." He smiles sheepishly at me, sleep still intending to flirt with him as he yawns again, looking more tired than ever.

     "Did you sleep okay?"

    He nods. "No nightmares," he says and I can hear the slight happiness that laces his tone when he says it.

     I can tell it's a major relief for him not to have them anymore after what happened yesterday. Hopefully this is a small step towards him becoming a much better person—a person that is no longer plagued by his own demons and past. 

    "Good," I murmur. 

    "This is why you have to sleep with me. You make all the bad things go away." He scoots closer, tugging the sheets along with it. He places his head on my lap and faces upwards, looking straight at me. "What are you doing?"

    "I'm dialing Mr. Forman's number."

    One of his eyebrow lifts. "The lawyer?"

    "Yep. The one who I want to take my case," I inform him. "His secretary just texted me, saying that I can make an appointment with him anytime this week."