xxii. wednesday 24th december

EST IS SAT ON THE SOFA, HAIR TIED UP IN A KNOT ON TOP OF HER HEAD, BAGS DROOPING BENEATH HER EYES, NOSE RED AND HANDS FREEZING COLD.

"I swear I'm hungover or something," she mutters.

Noel chuckles. "You didn't touch a drop of alcohol. I can promise you that."

"My head is banging."

"But you had a good time."

Est sighs, extending her legs out in a quick stretch. "Yeah," she says, turning to Noel and giving him a small grin. "I had a whale of a time."

"Good," her remarkably-unaffected-by-the-exhaustion-of-last-night-and-somehow-still-glowing-as-ever boyfriend replies, "because I couldn't come up with anything else that might vaguely resemble ten lords a leaping. And I think it was really good for you. Going to a party, I mean."

"I think you're right," Est replies, rubbing her left eye and yawning. "I just think you should have warned me about the recovery day needed too."

Noel grins. "You don't get a recovery day until after tomorrow, babe," he tells her, standing up and wandering towards Ivie's cage. "We've still got eleven pipers piping and twelve drummers drumming to go."

"Please tell me that they both involve staying in and watching a film."

Noel laughs, shaking his head. "You're not that lucky, Est," he tells her, opening the cage and letting Ivie hop onto his outstretched finger. She's a beautiful bird with light blue feathers entangled in the snowy white. Holly had chosen her for Est because of her color - at the time, she'd told Noel that she reminded her of the ice that froze over the river near their house, of the best parts of winter.

At the time, Noel hadn't known just how much Estelle Richards hates winter.

"Whenever you're feeling a bit more energetic give me a shout," he tells her, returning to his spot next to Est on the sofa.

Est groans, leaning towards him and stroking the top of Ivie's head. "Why is this bird prettier than me?"

Noel shrugs. "Good genetics, I suppose," he says nonchalantly.

Est throws a cushion at him.

"Woah, woah, keep the tantrums down," Noel says, chuckling. "I've got a good looking bird on my hand, remember? She'll get jealous of us."

"Yeah yeah," Est sighs. "I think I'm ready for whatever torture day eleven is going to bring me." She stands up. "Let's get ready."

Noel makes a face of mock hurt. "Tortures?" he asks, his voice slightly raised. "I thought they were your favorite thing about each day!"

Est laughs. "They are," she tells him. "It's okay. I love them. I promise."

Noel throws the cushion back.

"Wait," Est says, pausing at the door. "Do I actually have to get dressed?"

Noel shakes his head. "Leggings and a top is just fine."

"Where are we going?"

Noel laughs. "When I said we were going out, I didn't mean out out. I meant just leaving your house."

"You're so infuriating, you know that?" Est sighs. "So where's just out?"

Smiling, Noel puts his feet up on the other half of the sofa. "Why, to the Pearson household, of course."

▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲

When Holly hears her brother's car revving up the drive, she jumps off her chair in delight. "They're here," she calls to her mother.