Twenty Seven: In Which She Discovers His Demons

Remember to follow, vote and comment!

[ B L A I R E ' S P O V ]

Note: After this chapter, the POVs for the rest of this story will be really screwed up so MAKE SURE you read whose POV is the chapter from, otherwise you'll be confused as hell.

I've never been in a fight before. No, really. Even when I was on the streets. I didn't have to fight over leftovers with other homeless people. Nobody really wanted to pick a fight with me because I didn't provoke anyone and gave nobody the reason to exchange fists with me.

So this... this is all new to me. I got to admit, fear had gripped me tight when Jax hit that guy in the face. I was scared, scared for the both of our lives, knowing that we might not live through this. But then... it suddenly hit me that he's a underground fighting circuit champion and I'm his goddamned bodyguard. That fear quickly turns into exhilaration and it causes me to turn around and land a solid punch on one of the men's faces.

    Chaos immediately ensues.

    The guy whom I punched glares at me, nostrils flaring and attempts to grab my hands. Another one comes up from behind me and seizes me by the waist. Panic like I've never known swells in my chest along with a shot of adrenaline coursing through my veins. There was no way in hell I was going to go down like this. I've learnt too much from Hunter and Jax's trainings to go down like this.

    Think, Blaire. Think!

    I snap my feet together in recoil and with all of my energy, I kick forward, causing the guy in front of me to fall backwards. I duck down, arms locked, and send the guy who had been holding me by the waist from the back to fly forward. He knocks down his comrade and both of them tumble to the ground.

    I'm not even done yet. Another guy crash towards me and smashes me against the wall, his strong hands clasped around my neck. I struggle to breathe and I claw at his hands like some kind of deranged woman. I was kicking and thrashing but the man wouldn't budge. He cackles—a horrible sound—as he tightens his hold on my neck, caging me in. It's no use. I'm trapped and I can't get out.

    I'm going to die. I can't believe I'm going to die like this.

    I cast a pleading look at Jax, who was in his own brawl with the ringleader. I can't tell who's winning—him or the other guy. I hope that he would notice me and try to save me but there's no luck there. I need to get out of this on my own otherwise I would die.

    I try to pry his hands away from me but his grip on my neck is like iron. I'm quickly losing air—my throat's constricting and my lungs burn from the lack of air in my body. My vision starts to blur. Everything became cloudy, even the face of the man who's trying to kill me. My thoughts become muddled and dispersed and I desperately try to hold on to the last bit of sanity I have left.

    I need to be strong. I need to stay alive. If I go down like this, I would fail to protect Jax. I would fail as his bodyguard. All those months of training for nothing. I wasn't going to waste that.

    And not only that. I couldn't leave this world, at least not yet. For once in my life, I had so many things to live for. So many people to live for—Eden, Belle, Ben, Jax, Baxton. I need to live. I need to live for them.

    That last thought gives me hope. And that hope burst from within me, giving me the last bit of energy I need to take his guy down. I had a gun strapped on my inner thigh, hidden in plain sight. Hunter had placed it there this afternoon. I had been against it but he told me that it was for emergencies. I was going to the event with Jax as his date, but that didn't mean I wasn't still his bodyguard.