Chapter 18

Cheshire brushed past the intruder without so much as a glance. "I'm making myself tea and going back to bed. If you don't have anything worthwhile to say, then I suggest you leave," Cheshire said.

Jabberwocky moved to lean on the counter with a thoughtful expression. "You've gotten so boring," he said. "Usually you'd screaming and yelling by now."

Cheshire scowled. "I'm not a child," he said as he began filling the tea kettle with water.

"I can see that quite clearly," Jabberwocky said with a chuckle. He watched while Chesh turned the stove on, expression turning sly. "Is it because you have a cute little ward sleeping in the other room?"

Cheshire's hands stopped moving and he gripped the teacup he was holding tightly in his hand. "What do you know about him?" he asked.

"Enough," Jabberwocky said. "A little questioning here and there can be very helpful."

In a spark of anger, Cheshire slammed the teacup on the counter, smashing it to bits. He barely noticed pieces of the glass slicing into his hand as he turned to Jabberwocky with a glare. "What did you say to him?" Chesh growled.

The unwelcome guest smiled mischievously. "Nothing in particular. Though, now that I think about it, I suppose I should've worded it slightly different..." he said thoughtfully. Chesh stormed over and grabbed his collar, pushing him back into the counter furiously. Jabberwocky frowned in disgust. "You're getting blood on my shirt."

"What did you say?" Cheshire asked again.

Jabberwocky smirked. "He's that precious to you?" he asked. Shrugging, he pulled Cheshire's hands away. "Well, then. I guess you better think before you act."

"What's that supposed to mean?" Chesh asked.

The smile on Jabberwocky's face disappeared and he looked serious for the first time since his arrival. "To him, you're really important. You're the only one who can hurt him." Jabberwocky narrowed his eyes in warning. "And you know that."

Chesh clenched his fists and lowered his eyes to the floor. "So? What's it to you?" he asked.

"Let's just say I'd prefer to see this to the end. I may not choose sides in this war, but that doesn't mean I'm not interested." Jabberwocky's smile returned with a gleam in his eye. "Don't get in the way. Or I'll have to get rid of you."

Cheshire glared at him and his claws lengthened. "Just try it," he said. "I dare you."

Chuckling deviously, Jabberwocky took a few steps towards the living room. "Oh, I'd love to play cat and mouse with you, but I don't have time." He turned towards the door with a wave. "I must be on my way."

"Don't come back," Chesh said.

Jabberwocky walked to the door and opened it. "See you around, brother."

"I don't care what you call me, but don't refer to me as family," Cheshire growled. He narrowed his eyes. "It's disgusting."

Whether or not Jabberwocky heard him, Cheshire was unsure, but he immediately relaxed his claws and closed his eyes when the door was firmly shut. Slowly, he turned back to the counter and proceeded to pick up the pieces of broken the tea cup that scattered the countertop and floor. There was some blood too, and he wiped that up with a damn rag.

When he was finished, he turned the stove off. He was no longer in the mood for tea, and went to bandage my hand. Then I walked quietly back over to Alice's room. As I opened the door, I saw he was facing away, breathing easily as he slept. A small smile graced my lips as I leaned on the doorframe, my mood lifting back up when I saw him. He was such a good kid. I almost regretted having to force him to be here. He didn't deserve any of this.