14

Preston struts over and starts talking to Jenna. They can't stop smiling at each other. I hope Jenna doesn't move to... Wherever it is that he lives. Texas?

I'm just sitting here, occasionally spinning my wheelie chair around, checking my nails out. They look similar to this morning, only not as good. Chipped from all the stress-induced nail biting.

Preston did acknowledge me, but I'm clearly not as interesting as Jenna's face, which he hasn't taken his eyes off for a solid hour.

Okay, I'm exaggerating. It's been five minutes.

I'm bored, though, and decide to check my phone. I didn't realise I'd switched it off.

Hooray! Signal. Two whole bars.

Bzzzz. Bzzzz. Bzzzz. BZZZZ!

My phone starts having some kind of seizure and I drop it. It manages to end up a few feet away from me.

I walk over to it and crouch to pick if up. As I stand up again, I see Jerome standing with a bunch of guys in the distance. Fans, I assume. Or friends. He does have friends.

I wonder if Mitch is with him. Shall I go over? I don't know. I'm not sure Jerome likes me. I don't really want to go bug him... Don't be silly, Sarah, just go over.

Now I'm talking to myself, staring at the floor. Great.

I worry about my brain sometimes.

I'm about to turn around and return to sit with the happy couple, when I hear Jerome say my name.

He waves. Uh, at this point I either wave or walk over. Wave or walk over. Do NOT stand still.

I feel someone giggle and put their hands on my shoulders.

"Come on, Sarah!" Jenna whispers. She's shoved me in the right direction and is skipping ahead of me now.

Preston obviously doesn't feel like skipping today and hangs back with me.

"Hey, Jenna says we were in the same hunger games! You guys did awesome. " I really love his accent. "Does Mitch know you were in DM with him?"

Hmm.

"I dunno. Don't think so."

"Should've typed who you were in the chat. Maybe he wouldn't have killed you." Now that's just silly.

"Huh?"

He can't answer my intelligent question as we've now reached the group, and he runs to join in on the conversation. Everyone is laughing and enjoying themselves, including Jenna. She's such a natural at this.

Then my eye catches Mitch's, and his laugh pauses in a smile.

He does that head tilt that means "come over here". At least, that's what I think it means. I hope it does, cause I'm already following its instructions.

I say hello to Jerome on the way, and give a reluctant "hi" to Mat. I don't know what it is about him that just ticks me off.

"Hey." Mitch says, still smiling.

"Hey." I smile too, then avert my gaze to my feet.

Oh god, these shoes need a clean. Or a bin.

"You did great there. Had no idea Incadia was you. I mean, I recognised the name, but didn't put two and two together."

"Yeah. Didn't win though. "

"Don't beat yourself up. I RARELY lose." I can tell he's joking around, so it's okay.

"Congrats, by the way."

"You sound extremely happy for me."

"You sound grateful. So, what'd you win?" I'm curious. I wonder if he got a T-Shirt AND a hoody.

Nope. It's a way better prize than I thought.

"3 nights in DisneyLand, florida, to redeem whenever." He said, before my jaw dropped.

Wow. Do NOT let Jenna find out.

---

I'm exhausted. What a day.

It's the evening now, and we're sat in the hotel restaurant. The vegan option is exciting: pasta with tomato and basil sauce. I expected more from you, big posh hotel. I mean, you produced great mojitos.

Jenna's having the same. She's sort of half-vegan. She wants to make the transition. "But, cake" she always says.

You can make some amazing vegan cakes, but if you're out and about and fancy a cupcake (as she often does) they're hard to come by in England.

As we're starting our desserts (fruit salad), I hear lots of boys' voices approaching. They stop a couple metres, I'm guessing, behind me.

I sneak a glance over my shoulder, and sure enough, it's the four of them (plus a few friends).

Jenna smiles and waves. I'm willing to bet she told Preston to eat here.

If we end up in the bar, there must NOT be a repeat of last night. For one, my stomach still hates me, and for another, there are even more people for me to embarrass myself in front of now.

"Excuse me, can we have two Cosmo's, please?" Jenna says to a passing waiter.

Oh dear.

//