Chapter Six

Shadowflower's POV

With a bundle of sweet-smelling herbs tickling my nose, I trotted through the wet grass towards camp. The birds sung above in the blooming treetops and the sky was as blue as a robins egg. It was magnificent out that day, so wonderful one might forget that the world was coming to a slow and painful end.

A sudden screech pierced the air, making me pause mid-step. My eyes widened and I strained to listen to the wilderness after the scream faded away. That was too familiar to shrug off, I thought with a speeding heart. I picked up my pace, hurrying back to camp to see if everything was alright.

Turns out everyone in camp was just as confused and concerned as I was. "Did you hear the scream, too?" I asked Blossomfrost and Tigerstripe as they sat together, sharing tongues. Their kits were tumbling around, making growling noises as they fought each other.

The two tabby cats nodded. The both of them seemed stressed and overly tired.

Stormcloud's weezing could be heard from across the clearing, but he seemed determined to get some fresh air. I wasn't so convinced that he should be up and about, but he was old enough to know what he should and shouldn't do.

I passed by the two mates and hopped down off of the rock to get into my den. I dropped the herbs by the stashes of other delicate herbs and then backed out.

Once I got back onto the main part of our camp, I noticed Zinnia was just hopping up onto the camp's large flat boulders as well. I dipped my head to her, and then she returned it.

"What's all the screaming about?" She purred. Her eyes were bright with joy even though the scream clearly bothered her.

"I was hoping you knew, actually," She shook her head and then hurried over to Stormcloud. Another scream silenced my Clanmates. The birds above instantly took off out of fright.

Suddenly, Silverstar leaped heroically onto the boulders from the opposite side of the entrance and yelled for Zinnia and I. She slid dramatically on the rocks before bolting back out of the camp after knowing we were on our way.

Zinnia and I exchanged nervous glances and then hurried to grab the most needed herbs for anything. We then dashed out after RockClan's rushed leader. I could feel the hot stares of my Clanmates as they watched us leave.

There was complete silence as the small Bengal she-cat ran beside me, dodging the branches and the thin trees that were scattered here and there. The silence made my nerves spike and my tail fluff up.

Silverstar was waiting at the opening to a clearing. It was clear now. The infected cat got ahold of someone. Zinnia shoved by the silver she-cat and anyone else in her way. The infected cat was still tied to the tree, but it seemed to be tied closer than before.

On the ground lay a completely still Pebblepaw. Her eyes were milky, her throat torn open, and her mouth open just enough to let her blood drip out from in between her stained teeth. I slowly padded over, my heart twisting. We were doing so well... I though, shaking my head.

I let the herbs drop to the ground as well as my head.
***
"The loss of Pebblepaw was very sudden and heart wrenching, but we cannot grieve for long. We may miss her, but we have other things that we should be worrying about," Silverstar announced. I shook my head. Ripplecurrent - along with Lionpaw and Hollowpaw - were fuming with rage. Stormcloud was in the medicine den, sobbing alone.

The spotted apprentice lay in the center of the clearing, stiff and small. Rosemary was rubbed onto her silky pelt to keep the smell of death from reeking the camp.

No one seemed to agree with our leader, but no one challenged her. Not even Ripplecurrent, who is known for being sarcastic to anyone and everyone. "It's a shame that she couldn't do what was asked... Maybe she would still be here right now instead of me wasting our time to make this announcement... but the past is in the past and we need to move on right away." I could tell she was putting all of the blame on the young apprentice, but everyone knew it was her fault for bringing the infected cat into the territory in the first place.

Silverstar finished her announcement and hopped off of her den. Everyone crowded around Ripplecurrent and her kits, apologizing for her loss and comforting her. Through her remorse and agony, she showed a blank face and only nodded to every cat that spoke to her. She wrapped her fluffy orange tail protectively around her two sobbing kits.

After the warriors that had comforted Ripplecurrent began to go their separate ways, I hurried up to the grieving mother. "She's in a better place now," I murmured to Lionpaw and Hollowpaw. Neither of them acknowledged me but I didn't take offense to it. I glanced up at the orange she-cat and touched her shoulders briefly then murmured, "Silverstar is self-centered and disrespectful. Don't let her bother you," and then I walked away.

Just as I headed to my den to comfort Stormcloud, Lark and Jinx hurried into the camp. With frightened expressions clear on their faces, they asked everyone in general what was going on. Foxtuft quickly explained, making it clear that it was Silverstar's fault. Their scared expressions quickly changed to disgust.

Silverstar simply ignored the incident and out of the blue asked if the two of them would be entering the Clan. "You're both welcome to join RockClan, but if you say no then you must leave my territory and never come back."

Lark and Jinx exchanged glances and then Lark spoke, "You think after bringing an infected cat into your territory and then blaming the death of a young, ignorant apprentice on herself that we will just join your Clan? The answer is no."

Jinx nodded in agreement. "In my opinion, I don't know what Marshstar was thinking when he chose you as deputy,"

Silverstar glared at the two rogues; she looked more offended than anything. "Fine, then get out of my territory and don't look back." She smirked and padded away.

RockClan was furious.

"After all Lark has done for us and StreamClan, you're just going to force them away?" Snowfern growled.

"If it wasn't for Lark, we would all be dead, and you know it!" Dreampaw snapped, but the leader ignored them all. More warriors spat out retorts and such, trying to offend and change Silverstar's mind, but she simply shrugged it all off.

"We will be going then," Lark announced, and then he turned to Crowflight and I. "If you ever need us, we will still be around." We both nodded.

"What about you, Zinnia? Will you join our Clan?" Silverstar asked from the top of her den.

She shook her head without hesitation. "Not a chance," she giggled, "but I will always be around outside of the Clans. Expect me to come check in anytime, too!" And then she, too, hurried out of our Clan to her real home.

Our Clan went completely silent. The same buzzing noise that haunted me every night came around again, and the longer the silence in the camp dragged on, the louder and more intense it got. I squeezed my eyes shut and clenched my jaw. I continued to sit there like that until Crowflight finally said we needed to bury the small apprentice before she came back.