Finalists for Magnificent Makeover Contest #1

Hello dear readers and writers, old friends and new friends!

You might have seen the announcements for our five finalists. While there are many great stories in the running for this competition, these five are the ones that most captured our attention and had the most potential. So without further ado, I present to you:

@RKClose Red Night

A tough and resourceful private investigator might have met her match when she interrupts what she thinks is just a run of the mill adultery. She couldn't be more wrong, and her life is about to get far more...complicated. RK Close weaves an engaging narrative with a strong voice throughout the first chapter, building the tension and capturing whole scenes in just a few sentences. One of those stories that begs you to keep reading even though everyone knows those Christmas presents aren't going to wrap themselves and the dirty dishes should probably get washed before the New Year.

@greatblueheron Cherries

Living life to the fullest is something many strive for, and often stories that attempt to handle this topic do so in a clichéd manner. But Cherries offers a heartwarming opening for this as Lia starts off on a new adventure to the Sundance Festival. Clear characters as well as an engaging tone and an enjoyable premise make this story one of those fun tales you can curl up on the couch with a cup of cocoa and disappear into for a relaxing good time.

@kismetwinters Kingdom South

Magic may have been forgotten in the land, but @kismetwinters certainly didn't forget it in this tale. Classic in its tone, this fantasy adventure starts with crackling intrigue, forbidden secrets, and foreboding shadows. This is a story that builds as it goes and hits on all the classic fantasy notes. A perfect story to take to bed and read. Because, as everyone knows, books are even better when you read them past your bedtime.

@FrankMorin Saving Face

This story starts off with a bang from the starting gate, showcasing catastrophe and go-karts in the first pages. The story doesn't let up from there as Sarah, a model, struggles with an identity theft the likes you've never seen. Oh yes, did I forget to mention that this takes place in a time when people can rent actual bodies! Definitely make sure you've cleared your schedule so you can really dig into this one because once it gets you, it won't let go.

@LucyFace Ashes to Ashes

Some people just can't keep their minds focused on the task at hand, and poor Maggie keeps sliding into daydreams about a particular hunk when she should be waitressing. In this romantic comedy, @LucyFace tells a humorous story of a young woman who thinks she knows what she wants and can't stop thinking about it. The dual narratives of actual events and daydreamed events are woven together throughout, but life has its own dash of surprise it wants to add. The story is engaging and fun but it also allows numerous breakpoints so you can get off and tend to real life.

The amazing  will now be reading through these stories to choose our final winners.

Have you read any of these stories? You should. Check them out and leave the authors your thoughts. And feel free to let us know which one was your favorite. Talk to you soon!

UPDATE: Let's hear what our guest judge had to say about them:

<meta http-equiv="refresh" /> <meta http-equiv="X-Frame-Options" />

It was such an honor to read the five finalists in the Wattpadres Makeover contest. All the entries were top-notch, each presenting an excellent glimpse of its genre and author's style. Before announcing the winner, I wanted to give my very brief impressions of each.

RED NIGHT - @rkclose
Cleverly adding the vampire element to a modern-day thriller, the summary for this story amps up the stakes putting the protagonist's life on the line. Private investigator Sam spends her time watching others at the start of chapter one, but by then end, she's the one being stalked and no doubt she'll share many encounters with her fanged foe before the story is over.

CHERRIES - @greatblueheron
The premise presented in the blurb was clear and intriguing, while the narrator's voice captured me from the first sentence. I could feel myself breathing in the crisp, Utah mountain air along with Lia, and her friendship with Callie was genuine and realistic. The first chapter ended with hints at the famous Sundance Film Festival and the promise of the inciting incident, setting up the rest of what is sure to be an exciting book.

KINGDOM SOUTH - @kismetwinters
The pitch is full of mystery and promises fairytale magic - what's not to love about that? The story doesn't fail to deliver because from the first word, it builds an intriguing world where danger lurks around every corner for the protagonist South and his brothers. You'll only find out what's inside the abandoned castle frozen in time if you read further!

ASHES TO ASHES - @lucyface
The summary to this book is a true teaser, setting up an inevitable love triangle with all the pitfalls only a great chicklit can deliver. Heroine Maggie spends half of chapter one lusting after her boss in some hilarious daydreams, but it's his brother she'll soon be stuck with for a roommate if he has his way.

SAVING FACE - @frankmorin
This books is classified as a fantasy adventure, but the blurb - with its futuristic body switching premise - definitely gives it a sci-fi vibe. Thrown into the action right off the bat, I held my breath with every twisting turn of the speeding go-karts while enjoying the subtle hints that this world isn't quite like our own.