Prologue

Clouds of dust formed at the man's feet as they shuffled. He tried to restrain the girl as she arched her back and kicked her legs in the air.

"Put me down!" she yelled, nearly gagging from the stench of alcohol exhaled in her direction and the waft of mold emanating from the man's matted hair. When she breathed she could almost taste it.

"Why should I do that?" The bass of his voice rumbled through her body.

She hoped she could bide her time until someone came down the path, but this area rarely had visitors. The men laughed. Their teeth looked like rows of dried corn. Or at least those who had teeth.

"I think you'll be coming with us." The man carrying her said.

"We'll have the money next week," she explained, "Please just let me go!"

"Oh shut up." He rolled his eyes.

"Aww she's gonna cry!" One of the others howled. She stiffened. She wouldn't give them that pleasure. Instead, she turned her head and sunk her teeth into the man's throat before he brought a knife to her side.

"I'd stop if I were you," he warned, "we can use you dead or alive."

She released her hold and went limp. She was going to die. She might as well resign herself to that now.

From the author:

Thanks for giving my story a chance! This is the first one I've written intended to be lengthy enough to be considered a novel. I would really appreciate any feedback whether it be in the form of votes, critiques, comments, or anything else. Let me know what you think is working and what isn't and don't forget to click through to the next chapter!

Edit January 17, 2020:

I'm going through and trying to make some edits before adding more parts. It's been a while since I've written anything for this story and I think it would be the easiest was to immerse myself in it while also improving it since I know there are many things to be fixed.