Chapter 27

• Carter •

"What's up with you and Connor?" Cale asks me after he gets home from his date with Haley. I was lying on my bed, finding it difficult to keep my thoughts away from Justin.

"Nothing's up between Connor and I." I inform Cale. "I made sure Connor got the memo that I wasn't interested in being more than just friends."

Cale chuckles, ripping off his shirt and flopping down on the bed beside me. "Good. Connor's not your type. Justin, on the other hand-"

"Cale," I frown. "I don't want to talk about it."

"Sorry." He throws me an apologetic look. During the dance, Cale had asked me what had gone on between Justin and I. I told him everything, letting Aunt Marci and Mia in on the deets as well.

"And Cale?" I look over at him. "Put on your shirt."

He raises an eyebrow. "Are my good looks too much for you to handle?" He teases.

My frown deepens. "What good looks?" I joke in return. "And I just don't feel comfortable having a shirtless boy on my bed."

Cale laughs softly, not bothering to put in his shirt. "How many times have Justin been shirtless in your bed?"

My face heats up, recalling those times back in LA when Justin would get in the bed beside me, his shirt sometimes off. I never had a problem with it though.

"That's what I thought." Cale continues to laugh.

"I hate you." I let him know.

"I love you too." He winks, snatching the control off my bedside table and flipping on the TV. It's on The Disney Channel and they're showing one of the latest episodes of Wizards of Waverly Place.

"Sweet jalapeño," Cale licks his lips. "Selena Gomez is a sexy princess from the heavens."

I make a face. "How did your date go?" I question, remembering that I hadn't asked.

Cale frowns. "I don't want to talk about it."

"Not too good, I assume."

Cale purses his lips and goes back to staring at the TV, not getting back on the subject. I decided to just drop it. I wouldn't like to talk about a date-gone-wrong either.

•   •   •

I wake up the next morning with my arm hanging off the edge of my bed. I yawn and sit up, stumbling out of bed and towards dresser. Still kinda sleepy, I grab a pair of peach-colored shorts and gray tee with 'Believe' scribbled across the front in black letters. I strip out of my pajamas and slide on my choice of clothes, quickly combing through my hair and heading out my bedroom.

I barely have to time to reach the stairs because I strip over some square-shaped object, almost tumbling over. I crinkle my nose and look down to find a medium-sized box with 'Cara's Stuff' printed on the top in sharpe.

Cara.

My mother.

I sucked in a deep breath and kneeled down, absentmindedly prying the box open to reveal a pile of papers and a few photo albums here and there.

I grabbed the first sheet of paper of the top, my eyes scanning over it.

My mouth drops and I look closer, rereading everything I'd already read. It was some hospital documents...indicating that my mother had lost her baby.

Did mom have another child that she had lost? Or...or is there a different story behind all this?

St.Bartholomew was written on top. The name of the hospital. Isn't St.Bartholomew here...in South Carolina?