Chapter 3

I wake up with my arm around Rocky and his hand on my arm. It wasn't exactly awkward. He's my best friend. We've held hands and slept next to each other before but never woke up with our arms around each other and were with someone else. So, maybe it is a little awkward but not a lot. I don't like Rocky as more than a friend. And he doesn't like me as more of a friend either. Sometimes we play around like we're a couple but we're aren't. We hold hands and hug a lot but just as friends. We only kissed one time and that was on accident because me and his girlfriend had on the same dress at a party and he turned me around really quickly without checking and kissed me instead. You can say that his relationship with her didn't last much longer. It was a complete accident.

      I move my arm and he wakes up. "Oh, well this isn't weird." He says. "That's what I thought." I say. I get up and he gets up after me. "See? We survived and didn't do anything." Rocky says. "Yeah." I say. "But maybe, just accidentally, I might trip and we might accidentally kiss." He says. "Shut up." I laugh. "Come on, you're a good kisser." He says. I laugh again. "Does that mean I'm not a good kisser?" He asks. I just smile at him. Nobody knew about that kiss except for me, Rocky, and his ex-girlfriend. "Well then, get out I have to change." He says and opens his door and pushes me out. In a couple of minutes, he's completely ready. He has a blue shirt and jeans with tennis shoes on. We run down the stairs. "We'll be right back, mom." Rocky says as we run out and to my house.

      We go in laughing. Lisa and Tommy are sitting in the kitchen drinking coffee. They smile at us. "Lisa, Tommy, you remember Rocky." I say. "Yeah, it's nice to see you again." Tommy says. They were still okay with me calling them their real names because I'm still not quite comfortable calling them 'mom' and 'dad.' "It's nice to see you too, Mr. and Mrs. Underwood." Rocky says. Rocky knew I was a foster child, he knows everything about me. Lisa and Tommy don't like Rocky that much. They think he's trouble or something like that. But they try to act nice when he's around but then tell me about it later. We go upstairs and up to my room. I go to my bathroom and change while he looks around my room. "Ooh is this your diary? Let's see.. what page am I on?" He asks. "It's a journal, you idiot." I say while changing.

      I put on a blue shirt with a red heart on it, my old brown jacket, jeans, and my old converse with my hair in a braid and a beanie on. I walk out and see him looking through my closet. "Jeans, T-shirts, tennis shoes. You don't have any dresses or heels or skirts." He says. "You should know that already." I say. "I do, I know you hate them but I remember you had a dress and heels that you wore to that party." He says. "Dude, I hid those. I hate them so I put them all the way hidden in the back so Lisa won't say 'Oh you should wear that.'" I say. He finds them. "Oh, well you should wear that." He says. "I hate them, so no." I say. He closes the door. "You have no pink in here." He says. "I hate pink." I say. "My ex-girlfriend was obsessed with pink." He says. "Maybe that's a reason I didn't like her." I say. He laughs.

      "Ooh, a song book." He says as he pulls it out from my drawer. "Give me that." I say. "No, let me read." He says. I'm close to his height. I try to snatch it from him but it holds it up and I can still reach it. I try to snatch it again but he moves it and runs down the stairs. "I'll be at the Lynch's!" I say as I chase Rocky out the door. I chase him through the space between our houses. "Rocky Lynch!" I shout. He stops for a second to read. I jump on his back and snatch it from his hands. I hold on with one hand. "I'll drop you if you don't give me that book." He says. "You will not." I say. "Wanna bet?" He asks. "No, because then you will." I say. "Fine, I won't." He says. "Onward my unicorn!" I shout. "Hey, I'm not a unicorn. I'm more like a dragon." He says. "Onward my.. dragon!" I shout.

      We both laugh as he gives me a piggy-back ride inside his house and up the stairs. "Hey, when'd you get here?" Riker comes out. "I was here all night, we just left so I could change." I say. "Where'd you sleep?" He asks. "Rocky's room." I say. Riker nods. "She's spending the night again tonight." Rocky says. "I have to ask." I say. "She is." Rocky whispers. I hop down. "Ross is out filming, Rydel is out with a friend, and so is Ryland." Riker says. "Guess it's just us." I say. We spend the day watching movies together. From a scary movie, to a comedy, to action, to two more scary movies. We laugh through them all. Then it's like 8:00PM when Ross, Rydel, and Ryland come in. "Hey, guys. Oh I love that movie!" Ross flops down in between me and Rocky. He finishes the rest of the movie with us. Then after the movie, Rocky and I walk to my house.

      "Hey, Lisa can I spend the weekend at the Lynch's. Spending the night and everything?" I ask when I go inside. "Uh, yeah, sweetie." She says. Tommy clears his throat from the living room and comes in. "Kacey, you are sleeping in Rydel's room right?" He asks. They look at Rocky behind me. "Well, no, but-" I begin. "The living room or anywhere else besides-" Lisa begins. "Rocky's room." I finish the sentence. "We just don't think you should-" Tommy asks. "Tommy, I'm not doing anything, I'm just sleeping in his room. You can trust Rocky. You trust me.. don't you?" I ask. "We do.. in most situations, honey. But you're new to the family, we don't-" Lisa begins. "New? Lisa, I've been in this family for what.. since I was 8 years old? That's like 10 years." I say. "But, sweetie-" Tommy says. "I thought over the last 10 years you trusted me. But I guess I'm wrong." I say and storm upstairs. I get my pajamas and clothes for the rest of the weekend. Then I go back to the Lynch's with Rocky.

      We take showers and I change. "You're sleeping my room again, unless your parents don't want you to." He says. "They don't, but I don't care. I'm mad at them." I say. "Well, do you want to, or is this just like pay-back?" He says. "I don't do the whole pay-back/revenge thing. Yes, I want to. Unless you don't want me to." I say. "I do." He says. I smile as we go to his room. He lays down and I lay down next to him. "I think we should pay Devin a visit tomorrow." He smiles. "Dude, no." I say. He holds my hand and I close my eyes. "Dude, yes." He says. "No, Rocky, and what would we even do?" I say. "Dude, we could just make him mad." Rocky says. "His mom will call the cops." I say. "We can run." He says. I smile and we say good-night. Then I go to sleep.