Series of Unfortunate Events

Joe stepped aside allowing Matt to walk in and take his seat before turning his glare back to me. "We will talk about your language later," he said looking unhappy, "Take your seat."

I stood there struggling with the decision on whether to tell Joe before class that I didn't have my paper, or to wait until he went to collect them, either way I was screwed and at this point I was already in trouble for my mouth.

"Take.Your.Seat," Joe repeated putting emphasis on each word. At home I was spared a little leeway as far as listening to instruction goes, but Professor J was not a fan of repeating himself. Crap, note to self, don't piss off Joe prior to a confession of some sort...I'd much rather him be in a good mood before throwing him the blow of total disappointment. I seriously have to work on my tendency to build infractions.

"I don't have my paper," I mumbled deciding just to get it over with and skip the element of surprise by confessing during class.

"What?" Joe barked drawing the attention of those in class that had already taken their seats. "I saw your paper last night, what do you mean you don't have it?"

"I was running late this morning and Nick threatened to make me walk," I explained. "I ran out and left it on the counter."

Joe ran his hand through his hair in frustration. "You will go home at lunch and get your paper, I am docking you a letter grade for handing it in late, take your seat."

I shot Joe pleading eyes before taking my seat with a sigh. I'm sure in a regular school the students would be perfectly fine with handing in a paper late and receiving a lower grade...in a highly competitive school like Chilton however, it was a kiss of death. Anything below a B- was simply unacceptable and that grade was certainly nothing to brag about. I sat there in class trying to avoid Joe's constant look of disapproval. About twenty minutes into class there was a knock at the door, Nick stuck his head in and nodded to Joe who quickly met him out in the hall. No doubt Joe was filling him in on my foul language this morning...awesome.

When the bell rang signaling the end of first block I grabbed my books hoping to shuffle out quickly and skip any reprimand speech from Joe. "Cecelia," Joe's voice rang out "Stay after class, I need to speak to you." Fuck my life...no such luck. I sat there until everyone filed out of class including Matt who shot me a sympathetic look before leaving.

"You wanted to talk to me?" I questioned as I grabbed my books and came to stand in front of Joe's desk where he sat looking over papers that had been collected.

"You are lucky," Joe growled still clearly upset with me before holding up the paper in front of him...mine. My eyes widened and a wave of relief washed over me.

"Where did you..." I started.

"Nick grabbed it off the counter this morning," he answered before I even had time to ask. I smiled. God Bless Nick and his 'everything in its place' tendancies. Mental note, give Nick a big hug next time I see him. "Don't smile, you aren't off the hook for this yet." Joe said his tone still sharp. "You got lucky, but this paper was your responsibility, not Nick's."

"I know," I said with a nod, "I'm sorry."

"Sorry doesn't always cut it Cecelia," Joe said raising his voice and standing from his chair. "When are you going to start being more responsible?"

I flinched at Joe's volume and tone. "It was one paper," I said defensively.

"This isn't about just one paper," Joe argued. "It's this paper, which you neglected to grab because you were not responsible enough to get up on time. Nick had to wake you up and practically threaten you out the door so you wouldn't be truant."