Why Bother?

~ Chapter 41 ~

Daniel's POV

Making my way downstairs I noticed my house was quieter than normal. This is seen as a big thing due to being a father of four boys and a betrayal of a daughter the house is always loud. So you can see my concerns of there being absolutely no noise at all.

"Bec?" I called as I made my way into the living room expecting her to be there.

"In here," She called out softly. I followed her voice into the kitchen where she was sat on the breakfast bar with a cup of green tea in her grasp.

"Why's the house so-"

"Quiet?" She finished off. I nodded at her, a confused expression covering my face as I leant down and placed a kiss on her cheek.

"Yeah, where are the kids at?" I asked as I went to make a coffee for myself. I saw her get up quickly and move towards me.

"I'll do that," She said taking over. I frowned a little as I noticed a hint of nervousness through our mating bond but let it go. The sound of our doorbell being ringed ran through the house followed by a few knocks on the door.

"Can you get that while I finish this off?" I groaned quietly and walked to the door silently wondering who it was.

"Hello?" I said while opening the door. A flustered teenager was on the other side.

"Is Stacy here?" He said quickly. I frowned and looked at him.

"I think you have the wrong house no-one from the name Stacy lives here, sorry." I said sheepishly. He let out a breathy laugh and nodded to me.

"Thanks, sorry for bothering." He said and walked off muttering something along the lines off 'gave me the wrong address'. I shook my head laughing as I closed the door and made my way back to the kitchen.

"Who was that?" Bec asked. I narrowed my eyes at her as she sat down wringing her fingers together, something she only did when she was up to something.

"Just some teen, what's wrong with you today sweetie?" I asked worriedly as I sat down beside her. I noticed my coffee was now made and beside her cup of tea.

"Oh it's nothing." She mumbled looking down as tears welled up in her eyes. I put my finger under her jaw and lifted her head a little so she had no choice but to look at me. I think my heart broke as I did in fact see those tears in her eyes.

"Bec? What's wrong? Have I done something?" I questioned. She scoffed quietly and looked at me.

"What haven't you done? I miss my daughter! I just want her back here, I want my baby back." She muttered worn out. My jaw clenched as I took in her composure.

"You know I can't do that Bec. It's her fault our son was taken away from us all those years." I said through clenched teeth. It was quiet for a few minutes making me sigh. I picked up my coffee and took a big gulp. It helped relax me slightly.

"It's not..."

"Please enlighten me then, because as far as I know it was her who he was protecting." I said trying to calm myself down. By now I had nearly finished off my coffee, there was something different about it which made me feel lighter.

"Protecting being the keyword here Daniel, if he wasn't protecting her where do you think she would be now? She could be dead for all we know!" She yelled at me.

"She wouldn't be dead... I don't feel right," I mumbled. My vision was swaying as I took in all three figures of my wife. I got up and used the counter to brace myself as I stumbled forward into her.