Chapter 4

"Momma..." Elijah breathed out.

Adelaide nodded. "I adopted her, she wasn't been taken care of. Anyway, I always had a soft spot for children who were left out by their own family, parents."

"Niklaus..." Elijah softly murmured.

Adelaide smiled sweetly. "Yes, I had a thought like that as well. I don't know if it's all your brother but he's definitely part reason."

"That's why you're taking her illness so hard. You've taken care of her for years and now she might leave you."

Adelaide nodded again. "It will be very hard to say goodbye, she never wanted to be Vampire so I never turned her. I will miss her but I am happy with the time I got with her, it isn't enough but I am grateful that I at least got that."

Elijah smiled softly. "It must be hard for her as well..." Elijah couldn't finish his sentence as Adelaide's phone interrupted the talk.

Adelaide looked on her phone and saw that it was the hospital. "I'm sorry, I have to take this, it's the hospital." Elijah nodded and Adelaide picked up.

"Hello?" She cautionally asked.

"Miss Ackelson? I am afraid I have bad news. You're grandmother is in the hospital. She is in a comatose state. I request you to come as soon as possible."

Elijah, who had been listening as well, already had his car keys in hand and stood at the door, waiting for her. When she hung up, she turned around to see Elijah waiting for her.

He smiled at her. "Come on. Let's go, I'll give you a ride."

"But,..."

Elijah felt for her, she had seen the lady as her daughter for years, maybe never stopped looking at her like that. He couldn't possibly imagine what it was like to lose a child as he can't produce any children. He was death, and the death couldn't reproduce.

"If it is your car, I'll give you a ride back here tomorrow so you can pick it up."

"But that'd be absurd. You would drop me off at the hospital, return here and pick me up at the hospital again...."

Elijah let out a laugh, "No, love, I'm not leaving you tonight."

"Wha-"

Elijah took her hand and led her out to the cars. He took her to his car and opened the door for her.

They quickly got to the hospital and were directed to the room. Doctor Fell was there and looked at Adelaide. "Adelaide, nice to see you again. I'm sorry to tell you this but you might have to prepare for the worst... It may be time to say goodbye. I'm sorry." She touched Adelaide's shoulder before leaving the room.

Adelaide sat down and Elijah stood next to her, touching her shoulder. Adelaide started silently crying before she decided to do what Adeline had been bugging her about. She was going to tell Elijah everything.

"It was three years before you changed..."

"Adelaide, you don't have to-"

"No, I do. Adeline wanted me to tell you, so I will. This is my way of saying goodbye." Adelaide wiped away the tears that had already fallen. "Like I said, it was three years before you turned. I was doing a certain spell that could mean death if you use it at the wrong time, of course death comes in many ways. We are death, but still here. Certain spells you shouldn't use at certain times, I did it anyway. I didn't know... I am the result of the wrong spell at the wrong time."

Adelaide took Adeline's hand in hers. "Your mother and the Bennett witch helped me after that. I created a daylight ring and it worked. Then the wolf-accident happened. I didn't know I had kept my powers but when I did find out, I kept it a secret."

"Or so you thought." Elijah said, remembering that she was part of their transformation.

"Or so I thought, indeed. She told me to help her or she'd disable my ring. I didn't want to but I couldn't lose the ability to go out. No one knew that something was wrong with me, I hadn't killed anyone and I made them forget if I broke down and did feed from humans. Back then I was like Stefan, I tried surviving on animal blood, it wasn't always enough but it didn't happen often that I attacked Humans either. I was proud of that... still am."

"You've never killed?" He asked, astonished.

"Not a human, no... animals on the other hand. I made you forget about me when you turned. I wanted you to live your own life. And then you left with the rest of your family. I was always behind you, looking out for you. My... love for you didn't allow me to stay away from you."

"Love?" He questioned.

"We were best friends. I was a cliché girl. I fell in love with my best friend. Thatia came around and my dreams were shattered... I knew you would never look at me like that, not as long as she was around. I wanted to kill her... so badly, but I didn't because I wanted you to be happy and she seemed to do just that."

Adelaide looked at Elijah. "I left you behind when you went to New Orleans, I came here and met Katarina again, after all those years... She hadn't changed a thing. She played the Salvatore brothers just like she played you and Niklaus. I left and then lived life. I saw Rebekah and Klaus again in the twenties with Stefan. You weren't there. I looked out for them, anyway because I knew you would want that... I was lonely and wandered around after they left."

Adelaide looked back at Adeline. "You found her." Elijah figured out.

Adelaide nodded, not looking at him. "Yes, I found her. I had a soft spot for 'bastards'... A huge part of me thought of Niklaus every time someone had a child from an affair and the husband learned the truth. Adeline was one of those children and when her mother died, her mother's husband put her outside and didn't look back. I already had my eye on her, I was at the cemetery when she burried her mother."

"You took her in, because you though of Niklaus?"

"Yes, because she reminded me of Niklaus... What if Niklaus had someone like me? That'd look after him when he needed, not someone that would beat him. I hated Mikeal, which is why I helped them kill him... They don't know I did that though."

"How..."

"Well, I was in England wasn't I? I helped them by making Stefan stopping Mikeal killing Klaus. It wasn't only Klaus' compulsion."

"Yours as well."

"Elijah, I am begging you don't tell anyone... I will tell you anything you want to know but I want you to keep quiet about this. I want to keep living. I'll even leave town if you want but please don't tell anyone."

"I promise." Elijah softly said.

Little did she know he wanted anything but her leaving.

Please let me know what you think of this chapter. Hope you enjoyed it!