Chapter 1 /:/ A Day to Remember

Y/N's POV

I woke up early this morning and got my things ready for school. I used my decent 12-year-old legs to run to the bus. I got on and sat by my friend Carl. "Hey." He said to me. "Hi," I said back.

We talked all the way to school until we both had to go to our separate classes. I held onto my book bag and sat down in my chair. The day slowly went by and soon it was time to go home. I sat on the curb and waited for a little while. Just watching the other kids get picked up by their parents. I started walking home when I saw Carl and his mom walk little ways away.

She knelt down in front of him and started speaking. I couldn't hear what she said, but Carl started to cry. I started walking over to him when I felt someone grab me. I looked at me and saw Shane. "Leave him be." He said. "Alright," I said. I yanked my arm away from him and started walking away. I started running home. On the way back I noticed someone or something. It looked like a person but its flesh was rotting and it always limped.

It saw me and started to move towards
me very quickly, it never stops trying to get at me. I ran again and soon made it home. I got inside and locked the door behind me. "What was that thing?" I asked myself. I started boarding the Windows and all the extra doors. I hung up blankets over the Windows so that when it was the night I could still have light and they wouldn't see it. The number of them doubled every day. I kept the door locked no matter what. I wondered about Rick and Lori... And Carl.

I wondered if they were ok, or if they were even still alive. I went out on runs and got some much-needed supplies. I always made it back home without getting hurt. But one day walkers surrounded my home. It became apparent that I had stayed there for as long as I possibly could. I kept my cool and eventually when my food was starting to run low, I grabbed multiple bags and filled them with the food and water I had left. I had also filled it with my deceased fathers' guns and ammo.

He had gone long before this whole issue happened. A car crash on the highway, he was on his way back from work. I shook the thought of him out of my head. I kept a pistol with me and made sure that I had it loaded. I went to the garage where I kept my parents old Mustang. I piled the bags into the back, grabbed the keys, and remembered something. I ran back upstairs and grabbed all the family photo albums I could. Then I took off. I drove to all the way to Carl's but they were already gone.

"Damn it," I said as I looked through their house. I looked through the window and saw someone sitting on the lawn. He looked around and saw a walker. I heard him call out to it. "No no no. Shut up." I said quietly as I pulled the gun out of its holster and went to open the door. I looked again and saw a man run up behind one of the walkers and shoot it in the head. "That's gonna attract a lot of walkers," I said quietly. Then a boy smacked the first man on the head with a shovel. I ran outside to make sure that the man was still alive. "What are you doing?!" I ran over to the man who got hit by the shovel. I knew him... It was Carl's dad. I gasped, "Rick? Rick?! Oh my god! It's Rick!" I knelt down beside him and looked at him with disbelief.

"Shut your mouth girl. Duane, did he say anything?" The older man asked the boy. "He called me Carl." The boy called Duane said with a shaky voice. The man grabbed me and pushed me aside. He picked up Rick and started to carry him off. Duane grabbed my wrist and dragged me along. "Where are we going?" I asked him. "We won't hurt you. We're just taking you back to our place where it's safe." He said.

"We can take my car," I said louder so the man could hear me. He stopped, turned around, and nodded. We walked back to my car and moved my bags to the trunk. Duane sat up front with his dad and I sat in the back taking care of Rick. "I thought he was dead," I said to the man. "He had been shot. I saw it in the paper." I continued. "Who is he?" The man asked. " The sheriff. My best friends dad. The man who thought of me as a daughter ever since I had been alone. This man is Rick Grimes and he is the only way I will ever find Carl and Lori and tell them how much I have missed them." I said as I hugged Rick close to me.

The man parked the car outside of a house. We got out and I helped carry Rick inside. "Do you think he'll be ok?" I asked quietly. "Yeah. I'm pretty sure he'll be alright." He replied. We set him down on a bed and I let the man tend to Ricks injury. I sat on the floor and waited for Rick to wake up. I eventually fell asleep but woke up to the sound of walkers walking around and groaning. I looked out the window and saw that there were way more than usual. I knew that the gunshot would attract more of them. I walked away from the window and sat back down. A few days past and Rick finally woke up. I walked into the room where he was laying down. "Rick?" I asked quietly. "Hm?" He sat up and looked at me. "Y/N? Is that really you?" He asked. I nodded and smiled. "Have you seen Carl? Or Lori?" He asked again. "No. I haven't. That's why I went to look at your house." I bit my lip as tears started rolling down my face. "They weren't there. The supplies were gone and so were their pictures so I'm sure that they're alive and well. Because.. B-Because.." I leaned against the doorframe and started crying even harder.