Chp. 12 - Clearing the air

I called Taylor a zillion times but I finally managed to reach him, he sounded down, angry and surprised which are emotions that don't usually go together so I took it as a bad sign. I didn't tell anybody I was meeting him, if I did they would probably try and stop me or have a hundred wolves patrolling and waiting for their chance to rip his throat out, well I wasn't having it until I found out for sure what was going on. I've been home for three days now and I'm so behind on my school work it isn't funny, but Mr Rueben i'm sure has all the stuff I missed waiting for me at the pack house when I stop by next. 

Taylor wanted to meet somewhere crowded, so he picked an old diner on the highway, what he wasn't aware of was that most of the waitresses where Weres but I didn't want to freak him out. 

Pulling up in the parking lot I spot his car at the far end near the exit, using my nose there is nothing suspicious floating in the air, no steel, no metal not over bearing odours like the hunters had, just the fresh scent of forest and the polluting scent of car fumes. 

I braced myself as I pushed through the door, there weren't a lot of people inside the small diner, and to my suprise only the human waitresses were working today, now that got me suspicious, the Alpha must have needed them, but for what?

Looking around I spot Taylor sitting huddle over his coffee in the end booth, his blond hair shaggy, with a cut on his lip and above his eyebrow. I smiled at one of the human girls who go to my school before making my way down to Taylor. It felt odd, he was once a good friend of mine, it was only the start of the year when he joined our group, we would laugh, we would tell jokes and secrets now it felt like we were strangers, like we're back at square one and this time I think we'll end up being enemies. 

Taylor looked up from his coffee and smiled nervously, his eyes made him look vulnerable and fragile and he smelt of fear, he was afraid of me, and I felt horrible about it. I slid into the seat across from him and he repositioned himself so he wasn't sitting so close to me, my heart broke, my friend was gone. 

"Hey" I said meekly hoping to get some sort of reaction out of him but I didn't even get a 'hey' back, 

"Thanks for meeting me" I say through the awkward silence, his eyes that never landed on me once finally connected with mine, 

"Why am I meeting you?" his voice was shakey, I knew he thought this was a bad idea, 

"I want to talk" I try to slowly ease into it but he isn't fooled. His eyes betrayed his suspiciousion as he knew I wanted to do more than talk, he knew I was digging for information, information he was going to give me willingly or through force, I didn't car which way just as long as I got it and was able to help protect my pack.

"So talk" I almost growled at him for using such a tone with me, but I needed him, more than he knew,

"Are you a hunter?" I blurted, making sure it was a whisper, I wasn't to sure if there were any other werewolves within listening distance.

"No" he was telling the truth,

"Are you being trained to become a hunter?" I put it more specific and I knew he was struggling with an answer, a way to lie but make it truthful,

"Maybe" he answered and I growled,

"Listen I came here for answers and I came to see if there was a shred of evidence I could show my Alpha that can protect you. But obviously you and your family and whoever else is hell bent on starting a war with one of the strongest packs in North America, it's your funeral Taylor" I snap at him before hurriedly making my escape. A part of me says he deserved it and the other part is saying I failed at what I set out to do,