33

Derek's POV

"Come back to me!" I yell my stomach twisting as panic sets in, Maize's fangs disappear and her furious orange eyes shift back to her innocent brown, holding so much shame and tears that threaten to spill. She's backing up so slowly her eyes wide and scared. I'm losing her and I need to bring her back to me. Before I can stop her she's running and being a newborn hybrid she's quicker than me and she's gone in a second.

My emotions are running high as I run the forest looking for her hoping to catch her scent coming up with nothing. My heart aches at the loss of my pretty girl. I shouldn't have pushed her and made her so angry. I call her grandpa telling him to call me as soon as he hears from her or she shows up but deep down I know she won't go there. She's too smart, she wants to hide from me and it's too obvious of a place.

My fear is slowly being subsided with anger as I shift back into my human form and walk into the pack house. Calling a meeting and sending half the pack out to scope and surround the woods, and a few at her apartment, college and work just in case, while the other half stayed back and began narrowing down places she could've gone. Spike in one ear trying to keep myself and Shelly calm. Shelly was showing much more emotion than I was letting myself, she was angrily glaring at me which I fully deserved, but at the same times had tears in her eyes.

"Did she bite you?" Spike asked concerned and I shook my head not feeling the need to speak, I feel empty and scared as hell not knowing where she is or if she's safe. Knowing I caused her to almost hurt me and loose control which made her want to flea in the first place. "we will find her and if not she will come back D." Spike tries to reassure me "She kinda loves you." I try to believe him, but this time was different the look on her face said it all. She was terrified of her strength and anger. She was lost.

I'm scared she won't come back and I'm not sure how to live without her.

----------------
- Days later -

Maize's POV

"Where are you Maize?! it's been a week almost, please come back to me." Derek speaks through the phone his voice low and raspy. "I miss you baby. so much." My heart aches and I want to go back to town and run to him and never leave again but my mind quickly flashes back to how angry I was and how easily I could've hurt Derek in that moment, the man I'm whole heartily in love with which makes me wonder how easy it would be to hurt or worse kill someone I barely know. "You stopped, you came back to me and you didn't. I know you would never hurt me on purpose my love, I shouldn't have pushed you to that point and now you're gone wherever you are and you're not with me. Please come home its Christmas Eve." He begs his voice echoing through the phone and the way he says home pulls at my heart. I want to go home selfishly. But I know better as I listen to the voice mails play. I've been running for a few weeks now trying to control my hunger, my vivid anger. Trying to figure out who I am now.

I had anger before but never like this, everything is heightened, every emotion. I love harder, hurt deeper and the unimaginable hunger and anger I feel reminds be of why I can't go back.

I couldn't live with myself if I hurt anyone I care about. So this is what is best and safest. I will continue running to protect them. No matter how much I want to go back, I have to keep going.