Lovesong

- the Cure, Lovesong -

https://open.spotify.com/track/0xSdvfaloELWulSoH67IYD

Sunday after the Star Wars Marathon, I woke up in a good mood. My dreams had featured a certain guitarist with a mysterious smile and I woke up with a big smile at the thought of him.
My mum was at Josh's house, so I was without a car, but I wanted to see him.
Or phone him to hear his voice.
As soon as Simon was gone.

I pulled on my sweats and went down to cook breakfast. The coffee was just brewed when a pair of strong arms wrapped around me and and a flurry of blonde hair surrounded my face. I was squished up against Simon's bare chest.

"You'll get bacongrease in your hair," I said calmly as Simon squeezed me tighter.

"I just needed an Izzyfix," he mumbled weirdly into my neck.

I turned and pushed him away with a laugh.

"At least put a shirt on, you wookie" I said as my hand connected with his slightly hairy skin.

"If you don't like the view..." he said with a smirk flexing and showing off. his hair was lose and hanging down to his chest.

I frowned slightly at him and his weird behavior.

With a pout he put a shirt on while muttering about how 'some didn't appreciate the opportunity'.

He frowned as I loaded bacon and toast on two plates and set on the table.

"Two plates, Izzy? What happened to team Izzymon?" He asked, looking confused.

"About time we grew up, Simon," I shrugged.

All through breakfast he was weirdly quiet, while I was on a high from the day before and was itching for some friendly Simon-flirting. Just to get an outlet.
He was not even trying.

We went downstairs after breakfast and tidied the futon into a sofa and the covers into the cupboard before sitting down with some lazy Sunday TV.
I clicking through channels and ended up on the Princess Bride.

"As you wish? How cheezy!" Simon muttered.

"I think it's sweet," I replied.

"You would," he grumbled.

I studied him carefully untill he turned to look at me. There was a vulnerable grumpiness to him. All sour mood, but with a sprinkle of something he didn't want me to see.

"Okay. Where's the bug?" I asked.

"What?" He asked.

"What's bothering you?" I asked.

Simon drew a deep breath and exhaled heavily.

"What was that with you and Ethan yesterday?" He asked.

I couldn't hold back the grin on my face if I had tried.

"Izzy... please tell me you didn't... haven't..." he started.

I shrugged. Nothing had happened but I was certainly not planning on turning him down if he offered.

"But.... Ethan?" Simon asked, looking wounded.

"Why not? I mean... I get that he's one of your best friends, but you've got Ellen... or you could have if you wanted... and I encouraged that," I replied.

Things with Ethan and me were at the point where I really didn't want to hold back anymore. I wanted to tell him how he made me feel and forget the consequences. Telling Simon was the first step.
The realisation hit me that Simon was one of the reasons I had been holding back.
Simon's opinion mattered to me and I wasn't sure if I could handle his disapproval. But I had encouraged him to go out with Ellen, my best friend, so he really shouldn't have any problems with me falling for one of his best friends.