Chapter 13

POV GRACIE

I roll down the window and put my hand out. I love feeling the warm breeze hitting my hand. Today is definitely a great day for a girls day out. I look over at my girls. Sammy is sitting beside me in the back and Ansley's in the front driving. Just like old times, well, except that Ansley is driving and were a lot older, and were alone. Okay, so it's not exactly the same but it's close enough.

As we pull up at the small park and hop out of the car I notice Ansley looking around. I know she's looking for her dad. She's been paranoid for days now.

"Ansley!" I throw a blanket at her, "Think fast!"

She turns around as the blanket almost completely unfolds as it hits her face and falls through her arms and onto the ground.

"Oops," she giggles, "don't you remember how uncoordinated I am? I have the coordination of a one legged dog, probably worse than that!"

We laugh and grab the rest of the stuff for out picnic out of the trunk. This is the life.

"It's beautiful out here" I say as I stand up and look around.

"It really is, and it's peaceful." Sammy says.

"I could imagine myself at a lake house in 10 years or so."

Sammy laughs, "Only if I can come along!"

"You know you can, homie!"

"Homie?" Ansley's laughs, "Well aren't you just a straight up G."

"Most definitely." I say as I throw up my best gang sign.

"The fact that you just said 'Most definitely' and then threw up a crappy west side gang sign, proves that you're even whiter than even I thought." Sammy jokes as she throw up the west side sign and mocks me.

We all laugh and I elbow Sammy. She softly pushes me back.

"Gets some!" I say in my deepest gangster voice.

Ansley laughs as Sammy jumps in front of me with her arms crossed standing on her tippy toes.

"Oh, step up home girl. Step up." Sammy says in the most ghetto voice I've ever heard.

"Okay you two," Ansley says as she stands up and gets between us, "look you gangsters, sit your gangster tales now and eat the sandwiches I made."

We all laugh and Ansley drags me down onto the blanket. Yum. Ham and cheese sandwiches. Better than nothing I guess. I look over at Sammy who has mayonnaise on her chin and then I look over at Ansley and we start to laugh together.

"What?" Sammy's asks. "What is so funny? What did I miss?"

"Apparently your mouth!" I burst out laughing.

"Oh, I was saving that for later, duh!" Sammy jokes as she wipes it off.

"Hey let's go exploring guys." Ansley says as she points to the nearby woods.

"No way," Sammy says, "Those woods are beyond creepy. I may be gangster but no. Thank you very much. I prefer to stay in well lit places."

"Well I guess we see whose really hardcore then." Ansley laughs and grabs my arm to raise it.

"Fine, I'll go." Sammy agrees, "but I hate y'all." She laughs and pushes me in front, "You first miss hardcore G."

We walk into a clear area where the woods seem to open up like a door. I look up and see the dappled shades of Autumn colors above me. The pine scented air caused from the large pine trees beside us smells so fresh. The other rather large trees are oak I suppose.