TWENTY-THREE.

L.

"You and I need to talk," Justin uttered calmly as he sunk down onto his bed. He toyed with the keys in his hand.

Words cannot describe the amount of hurt and betrayal I felt in this very moment. I felt like I'd gotten stabbed right in the chest repeatedly. The guy that I once called my boyfriend, the guy that I sacrificed my best friend for, the guy that I swore was the only guy for me, betrayed and hurt me. I hated him.

"For one, I was going to tell you all about this but--"

"But what?!" I cried. "You were afraid that if you told me you were having an affair with my sister that I would stop talking to you, you lying piece of shït?"

"That's exactly why. Lacey none of this was suppose to happen. Things got a little out of hand."

I chuckled in disgust and shook my head. In just two months time my whole world came crashing down on me. That's a new record. Everything that Justin and I ever had was fake. The cuddling, the laughing, the talks, the kisses, the lunch dates, and most of all...the feelings. They were all one huge fucking lie. I was certain that this would be the last time I would ever trust a guy.

"Why Justin? Why would you do this to me?" I couldn't stop myself from crying no matter how much I wanted to. At this point, I was broken beyond repair. There was no fixing my heart anymore. It was done.

The moment Justin reached his arms out to hold me I pushed away and wrapped my hands around my knees. He wasn't the same guy he was to me a week ago. From this point on when I looked at him he was a stranger.

"Lacey I never meant to hurt you."

"But you did." I retorted. Then I said the three words to him that I'd never imagined myself saying. "I hate you."

As he gulped I could see in his eyes that my words hurt him. He set his jaw and chuckled in disbelief. For a minute I actually regretted what I said, that was until I remembered the reality of what was happening and realized that was the only feeling I had left in my heart for him. Hatred.

"You don't mean that," he sounded so sure.

"I do," I coughed as a few more tears slipped from my eyes. I sniffled and swiped under my nose, staring down at all of the evidence in front of me. My stomach turned slowly each minute I looked at these photos and journal entries.  I was just beginning to love Justin and something like this happens. I was angry with myself for not seeing this a long time ago. He's been here before and he knew too much. I was a little suspicious of the fact that he knew where my job was located without asking me, the fact that he knew where Roberto's pizzeria was, and that Midland Ave was on the other side of town. I just brushed it off because I was so infatuated, I fell too hard. I didn't see that he was playing me for a fool right in my face.

"Baby don't cry," Justin's words were laced with utter concern and care. He reached for me again for a second time, and I backed against the wall.

"Do not call me that," I said through gritted teeth. "I am not your baby...anymore."

"Can you please just hear me out though?" Justin pleaded. "I owe you an explanation, from the beginning. So you can at least understand why I did what I did."

"Explaining why you played me will not get me to change my mind about you. From here on out I will always hate you. But you do owe me an explanation so get to talking."

A wave of hurt lingered on his face and in his eyes for a while. He sighed and laced his fingers together, bowing his head. "My mom left my dad when I was twelve or thirteen, I'm not too sure. From what she told me, he was always cheating and having affairs with women all over New York. He slept with a few of her coworkers before too. She said she couldn't be with a man who was going to treat her like that so she left. We lived in Manhattan but we moved to Long Island to get away from my dad. My mom said that we were going to move back to Canada with her parents but I was already thirteen and I'd made friends and I was in a good school system, she didn't want to transfer me out.