The Imaginary Friend

Samantha watched Tracy biking through the park with her new friends. She was happy for Tracy who had just recently come out of her shell and started hanging out with some girls from school. But Samantha missed Tracy. They'd been best friends for as along as Samantha could remember. And now, Tracy barely had time for Sam.

"You did a great job with her," said a brown-haired girl on the swing next to Sam. Sam jumped. The swing had been empty a minute ago. Where had the girl come from? "I think you're ready to come with me now," the girl said.

Sam wrinkled her forehead. Who was this strange girl? And what was she talking about? "I think you're mistaking me for someone else," Samantha said, trying to be polite.

"No." The girl shook her head and smiled. "You're Samantha, Tracy's," she paused, "imaginary friend."

Did she just say imaginary friend? Sam stopped swinging. She wasn't in the mood for practical jokes. "Listen, I don't know what kind of prank you're trying to pull, but I have to go get Tracy."

Sam hopped off the swing and started walking away.

"It's no prank, Samantha. You're an imaginary friend. My name's Jessica, and I'm here to take you to the Land of Imagination until you're needed by another child," Jessica called after her.

Sam stopped. She turned back to Jessica, not knowing if she should feel sorry for this girl or be angry with her. All she knew was that she wanted to get far away from Jessica—whoever she was. "I'm supposed to meet up with Tracy," Sam said, hoping it would make Jessica leave her alone.

Jessica looked toward the bike path. "Does she know that? She seems pretty wrapped up with her friends over there."

Sam swallowed hard. Tracy hadn't even acknowledged her since she'd arrived at the park. Sam tried waving to her, but it was like Tracy looked right through her. Sam wondered if she'd done something to upset Tracy.

"She can't see you anymore," Jessica said.

"Why not? Did I do something? Don't her new friends like me?" Sam asked.

"No, I mean she really can't see you. The other girls can't either. You're an imaginary friend. Tracy was the only one who could see you. But now that she doesn't need you anymore, you've become invisible to her, too." Jessica sounded sincere, like she was trying to protect Sam's feelings, yet Sam still felt angry with her for saying these things.

"That's enough," Sam said. "I don't know why you're saying this stuff to me, but I'm not going to listen to it anymore."

Jessica stepped closer to Sam. "I'm not trying to upset you. I came here to help you move on —to explain how our job works."

Sam closed her eyes and shook her head. She didn't want to look at Jessica. She just wanted her to leave.

"I can prove what I'm saying is true," Jessica said. "Answer one question for me, and then I promise I'll leave you alone if that's what you want."