Chapter 4 (Camping)

-Mavis' POV-

            I stay as calmly as I can as Ronnie tells dad about her date with Eunice while we eat dinner. Right now I can't help but kill her in my head. Our ride home was anything but silent. She just can't stop herself from talking about her excitement for her date with Eunice.

"That's great Ronnie" dad says as he looks at me. "So Mavis, I heard you're not paying attention in class again. Look I know you hate this idea but please try and pay attention to your class? I don't want you failing" he finishes and I look at him.

"I think you're telling the wrong girl dad. I happen to have a photographic memory and that makes things easier for me. Why don't you tell Ronnie that instead?" I say to him before standing up from my seat.

"Where are you going?" he asks although he knows the answer.

"I lost my appetite and I'm giving you time to enjoy your bonding moments with your daughter" I tell him and not waiting for any response, walk to my room to listen to some music.

The next day, I sit calmly in my chair as Eunice tries and fails miserably to stay calm as the whole class watch our music video. Mr Hendrick watches intently and when the video ends, he gives us a bright smile.

"Well done. I didn't think you could pull this through but it seems like a good idea to pair you girls up. That was an amazing song and music video. Very well done girls" he claps his hands and the rest of the class follows. "See Mavis? I told you it's a good idea to pair the two of you up" he says to me but I just gave him a blank stare.

"Oh yeah. You've proven me wrong Mr Hendrick" I say sarcastically and hear Julia snickering behind me.

"A+ for you both" he says still enthusiastic with our video. I didn't give any emotion but I can tell Eunice was really happy with her grade and of course there's my stupid sister cheering her on. I roll my eyes and look out the window, not really caring to watch the rest of the class' projects. When the bell rings, I grab my things and walk out of the room while the others chatter about the videos we made. This is why I like studying alone in dad's office. There was peace and I could just be myself. But no, that old man had to make me attend the classes like a regular student because his beloved daughter won't go unless I did. I walk pass my locker opting to change into my gym uniform for today's P.E. class. It was a Friday so it's not a surprise when I see Eunice walking in with her friends and Ronnie inside the gym and chatter all the way. Seriously, what topics can they still talk about when they've been talking since first class? I think to myself as I observe their little group from my place in the bleachers. I would never understand girls and I'm a girl myself, I look away to see Coach Bern with a volleyball. Oh goodie, volleyball. My favorite. I remark sarcastically as she blows her whistle and gather us up. She tells us about the rules and then picks on the players for the first game and since I wasn't picked, I walk back to sit on the bleachers while I watch the others play. One of them is my idiot sister, Ronnie who messes with the ball most of the time but gets away with it. The game goes on until Coach calls me in substituting Ronnie. I sigh getting up from my seat and walk to the court.

"What do you want me to do?" I ask raising an eyebrow.

"Serve the ball" Coach tells me simply handing me the ball. The other team looks scared and nervous at the same time excited and anticipating. When coach blows her whistle, I throw the ball up and hit it with just enough force sending it to the back and making sure no one would be able to return it.

"Whoa. She's way better than Ronnie" I hear them whisper but I block them out as I serve the ball again and again and again. They couldn't return it to my team. Then coach brings in Eunice for the other team. As I serve the ball she was the only one able to receive it and makes her team to finally return the ball. The game goes on forever but eventually my team wins.

"Great job Mavis"

"Yeah. You were great back there" my classmates tell me but I choose to ignore them. I'm not the sociable type so go figure. I take a quick shower before changing to my casual clothes not wanting to stay sweaty at all. I hear voices and look up to see Ronnie and Eunice talking and laughing and what not. I grab my things and walk to my next class. Eunice walks right in and sits next to me.

"Hey class. I have good news for you" Mr Banner says to us and we go curious. "I have signed us up for a camping trip tomorrow" I hear collective groans and objections but he's not having any of it. "Now, now class. I know camping isn't your thing but I promise it'll be fun. Think about it. Two days in the mountains looking for ways to survive" he adds dramatically. "Now, I need you to take these waivers and let your parents or guardians sign it. Also, I want you to take down notes on what things to bring for the camping trip" he says passing the waivers and writing the things on the board. I look at the waiver before looking at the board. "Bring all of these materials and your signed waivers tomorrow at 7 am, the meeting place is the front of the school" Mr Banner turns toward us after he finishes writing down the board.

He seems very excited about this trip, I think to myself as I observe his body language. "Alright, that'll be all for today. You may now go" he dismisses us before the time. Now usually I'd be the first one to get out of the classroom but this time I wait for the last person to get out before getting up from my chair and walking out to my locker. Tomorrow's going to be interesting.