Confession 6

Olivia and Breakaway by Kelly Clarkson. you might not remember but this song was used in the 2004 film The Princess Diaries:Royal Engagement, which was and still is my favorite movie.

Confession 6: I used to wish Olivia's dad was my dad.

October 1st 2001

After I ditched (accidentally) Anna, she called me, terrified someone had kidnapped me.

"Oh my gosh! No, I'm so so sorry Anna!!! My mom, um, called me and I had to come home in a hurry." Was my excuse. I'm such a loser sometimes. Why couldn't I just tell her that I, Lana Henderson Montgomery, was a freaking princess?!

"Phew! Okay thank God! What did she want to see you about?"

"You won't believe it! My mother is dating Olivia Pierston's dad!!!"

There was a silence on the end of the line.

"No way! Olivia? Like super mean cheerleader Olivia?"

"Uh huh! Olivia-and-Parker, Olivia!" I said, pronoucing their names in the way that shows they're a couple. A couple I wish didn't exist.

"Oh my God! Oh my God! Does your mom know how much you hate her?"

I snorted. "Of course she does!"

"Then why?" Anna sounded confused.

"No idea. I mean I don't believe she's seen him, other than at work, since Olivia and I stopped being friends."

Anna snorted. "Well obviously that's not the case."

"Yeah, I know. I just wished she hadn't lied you know?"

Anna's silent for a second, then she sighed. "Yeah I know. I wish my parents could've told me about my family's genealogy before the, well, the media found out about us."

I'd forgotten that Anna already knew what it was like to be royalty. You could trust her. I really want to tell her about this whole 'princess' stuff, but I can't. I can't be rude to my dad but I could never betray him.

No. No, I couldn't trust anyone.

"I'm glad you understand. Now you can't tell anyone but..."

"What? Is it about Austin?!"

"Austin?" I said, curious. When had I ever mentioned anything about Austin. Plus, we'd just met so what really was there to say? Other than the obvious fact that he's a jerk. Anyone with eyes can see that.

"Yeah, Beaumont! You know... the Prince?" Of course I know the Prince. I'm a Princess! I think there might be some sort of law that every royal family must know about the others with the same sort of social status.

I shook my head and groaned. "Of course I know who he is! He invited me to go drinking! Drinking!"

"Oh my GOD!!! No!"

"Yes."

"Did you go?" She sounded giddy.

"No!" I said, flabbergasted that she'd even think I'd process the thought of going.

"Wait. The prince of France invites you, you, Alana Henderson Montgomery, to go drinking and you say no?! Are you insane!?" She cried.

"Shh! Anna! Your dad will hear you!" I said, eyes wide.

I can picture her rolling her eyes as she laughs. "Are you joking? My dad goes to bed at eight."

"Oh right."