Prologue

"Where is mum going?" I asked my dad as I walked into the kitchen.

"What do you mean, honey?" He asked me, confusion written all over his face.

"She's got her suitcase out..." I trailed off, not quite sure why she hadn't told him that she was packing.

He didn't answer me, though his eyes did widen upon hearing my words. He stood up from his seat at the table, running past me, straight up the stairs and disappearing from sight. Although his behaviour was odd and I was curious as to what was going on, I shrugged it off. If it was important then they would tell me.

Debating what to do with my day, it wasn't long until I heard shouting coming from upstairs. I sighed, shaking my head as I walked into the living room and sat down on the sofa. Although I loved my parents, the arguing was beginning to get on my nerves. It was becoming a daily thing. I wasn't even sure what they had left to argue about and yet everyday, they still surprised me by finding something else.

"I'M SORRY!" I suddenly heard my mum scream, making me jump and almost drop my phone that I had in my hand. Glancing at the ceiling, I knew it could be a while until they both calmed down though I did wonder why she had her suitcase.

I was about to call my best friend, Rose, when I heard footsteps storming down the stairs. Craning my neck to look, I almost gasped at their appearance. Something was definitely wrong, that I was certain of. My mum was red in the face, tears streaming down her cheeks as she gripped tightly onto her suitcases. She had two - two of the biggest ones we owned - and was looking anywhere but at my dad. He looked even worse; he looked at though he was about to tear his hair out, wiping his panic struck eyes as he begged with my mum not to leave.

"What's going on?" I asked carefully, shakily standing up as his words processed in my mind. She was leaving? Leaving where?

"Darling...I want you to know that I love you so much." She spoke through her sobs, turning to look at me. Although she didn't explain, that was when I understood. She was leaving for good. The shock hit my body like a ton of bricks and my legs almost gave way underneath me. My mum was leaving. She was leaving me.

"Why?" I asked, feeling the tears build up in my eyes.

"I'm not happy anymore."

"B-but..." I stuttered, not quite sure what I could say. I just knew that I couldn't let her leave us because I loved her. My dad loved her. Why would she give that up? I couldn't understand.

"I will always love you both, just remember that." She spoke as she walked over and pulled me into a soft hug that lasted only a few seconds before she quickly planted a kiss on my dads lips.

Then, without looking back at us, she opened the front door and exited the house, shutting the door behind her. Just like that. Just like that and my mum was gone.

I turned to my dad. "Dad."

His head snapped to me and I saw how upset he was so I ran into his arms, hugging him as tight as I could, not quite understanding how mum could just walk out on us like that. It was how easy she made it look that both confused and shocked me, how long had she been planning this? How could she leave her husband and her 15 year old daughter? I couldn't understand it. It didn't make sense.

"It's okay, darling, we'll be okay. We don't need her." He whimpered through his sobs. I wasn't sure who he was trying to convince more, me or him.

He lied.

Nothing was ever okay again.