Chapter 8

---Benjamin's POV---

Watching a polar bear grunt and snap with his teeth was more than a little unsettling. Especially when his dark, pitch-black eyes were glaring a hole in your skull. I blinked at Vane, curious as to why he would be angry with me but I quickly realized he was looking behind me.

The inmates standing there were all talking to themselves, murmuring about the new and powerful man and how that could shift the ranking in their group. Their eyes slid to Elijah standing beside his mate but they all flinched and quickly lowered their heads when the massive white bear roared threateningly.

I was fighting the instinct to run, to shift and claw up a tree as fast as I could. My legs were shaky as Vane clawed the sand before storming in our direction, charging at full speed. The inmates behind me instantly ran off, some even shifted out of fear.

A small squeak escaped my as Vane's charge skidded to a halt a few inches away. The big dust cloud was snorted away as the polar bear was standing inches away, dark eyes glaring down at me before it huffed.

"V-Vane...." Elijah stuttered, pressing himself in Vane's thick fur as he covered himself as best as he could. Clearly their clothes had been ripped to shreds as well, most likely when they had to shift to defend themselves.

Vane sat down, using one of his massive paws to tuck Elijah in his massive bulk, hiding him from view in a true bear hug. Elijah smiled and closed his eyes for a moment to enjoy the embrace before he glanced back at me.

"Hello again. I'm happy you survived."

I nodded, scratching at my ear slightly as my eyes tracked down the beach, where Anders' powerful form easily gathered all the limp wolves. For a moment I couldn't help but stare as his muscles rippled under his skin, the sun kissing them in a tantalizing way.

"Looks like we were worried over nothing."

A blush flowed over my cheeks at Vane's gruff yet amused voice while I kept my eyes away from the pair of very naked men beside me. "Well, almost nothing." He added with enough venom to send cold shivers over my spine.

"Yeah...stumbled into the camp a few days back. Its way bigger than what I imagined it to be." I replied, seeing Vane nod from the corner of my eye. Anders was on his way back, having trapped the wolves on the beach in some form of invisible cage.

Vane huffed slightly, shaking his head. "And you managed to stumble in one of the most powerful hybrids I've ever seen." He added gruffly before Anders paused a few steps away.

"You got a problem, bear?"

Vane's snarl made Elijah jump slightly, whimpering in his mate's hold. It was enough for Vane to calm down, though his eyes were still portraying his intense distrust with Anders.

"Good. Are you going to be able to control your instincts until we get back to camp or are you going to start killing inmates as we speak?" Anders spoke, taking a step closer as Vane's eyes sparked golden before he eyed the group of inmates a fair distance away.

"All depends if they keep eying my mate like that. " He sneered at the inmates and as I followed his gaze, I could see several of them trying to catch a glimpse of the naked Elijah.

Elijah chuckled slightly, pressing his lips to Vane's throat as the polar bear let out a warning rumble. Anders just nodded with understanding, eyes flicking towards me as a smile slipped on his face.

"Just... try and keep the damage controlled."

"No promises."

I chuckled with amusement, shifting on the spot before leaping up Anders' tantalizing body until I was perched on his shoulder. When he turned his head to give me a curious look, I meowed and latched on his ear playfully, pawing at his hand when he reached up to ruffle my fur.