SIXTEEN

LACEY

   The Outfield had already held a decent amount of people. Buckets and buckets of lights meant for christmas were placed on the warm grass while everyone gathered around to take some.

   The lights were to be hung around the field's fences, and just around the outfield itself. When turned on, the lights would show warm colors meant to show spring was here and coming.

   My bare legs were getting slightly cold as well as my arms, but I shook the feeling off. I grabbed a set of lights when the crowd got thinner, and found a spot of the fence that wasn't taken. I untangled the lights, and began sifting them through the holes of the fence.

   A shadow overlooked some of the grass beside me, and I frowned. I tried to hold in my breath, a lump forming in my throat. When I turned around I faced Johnson, and he gave me a sad smile.

   "Jack..."

   I closed the gap between us, and buried my face into the crook of his neck as I hugged him. My arms bound around his skinny frame as I took in his scenes, and peered at his dirty blonde hair.

   "What happened?" He asked quietly.

   I stayed quiet, and leaned back from the hug. My frown increased, "I'm not sure I want to talk about it."

   "If Jack is being an ass, I wanna hear about it," he told me.

   "Why do you care? We're barely friends, I'm just some girl he was hanging out with, what am I to you?" I burst out.

   "You're some type of friend, and I want to know what happened. Jack's moody these days, he won't talk-"

   "Maybe it's that time of the month..." I muttered under my breath.

   "I don't know, he just- he got mad, I don't know, go ask him, if he doesn't want to tell you, then that's not my fault, and I'm just trying to put up lights for spring, okay!" I shouted.

   Jack took part of the lights and started helping me set it up to fill the awkward silence.

   I wasn't going to tell Jack's best friend what happened, and then ruin their friendship. That wasn't my position.

   Once the string of lights were set up, I walked back over to the bucket to get more when two sets for tangled.

   I reached in, and grabbed both of them, struggling to pull them apart when a hand outstretched to them, and snatched them from me.

   I looked up in alarm to 'Jackass Jack'. The boy who couldn't keep it together on his doorstop.

   "Can we talk?"

   I shook my head, unable to let words out.

   "Please, I have something to confess, something you should you," he admitted.

   He took my hand graciously, and led me to the aisle of steps by the hundreds of seats surrounding the outfield. He stopped, and started walking into a row of seats, and sat down in one of them. I sat down in the one next to him. His hand never let go of mine, and that made me nervous as his thumb traced circles on my hand.

   I didn't want to be rude and pull back, but i was merely curious what he had to say. I didn't need to believe it, whatever his excuse was, but I would give him the benefit to hear him out.

   "What is it?" I asked.

   "I did go to a doctors appointment..." Jack started, "but I was transferred to a therapy office, so I let Madison take my car later on. She wouldn't stop asking questions, but you're the first one I'll be telling."

   "Yeah?"

   "I realize I seemed normal when being with you except our last visit. It was unexpected, and I was off medication. Anyway, I don't know how to say this. I just- I'm- God..." Jack stuttered, and ran his hand through his hair slowly, "I'm bipolar."

( )

chapter sixteen: december 11, 2015
edited: june 18, 2017