Chapter 20 (End); Gone

The sun beamed down through the window as I stared out at the burnt cabins. I could see the lake from here which brought back undesired memories.

"Phoenix stop looking out the window, you'll only hurt yourself more." Xidan told me as he walked up next to me.

"I can't help but, think it's my fault.... That old lady was right if I had only stayed away..."

"Stop blaming yourself. I should of been stronger to protect you from ever having to make that choice."

The grey smoke had finally stopped flowing out of the burnt houses, every family that lost a family member was outside burying the body. It bit at me that I could of stopped their pain, just if I would of stayed with Jackson......

Tears warmed the corners of my eyes as I balled my fists at my sides.

No one can stop Jackson but, me. If only I had stayed!

Xidan's grabbed a chuck of my hair and played around with it between his fingers.

"Xidan, I'm going to pay my respects to those families."

"Go ahead, I will be coming out soon to join you." He said letting go of my hair.

I nodded and turned away from the window.

These people need me now, I have to support them after all their losses.

I opened the front door and ambled out to see all the pack members gathered at the back corner of the pack territory, all with hats off and black clothing.

I shuffled next to the stragglers in the back and looked at the ground with the others, tears streaked their faces as they all prayed for their family members to rest in peace.

"Luna?" One questioned, she looked through her glossy eyes at me with shock.

I met her eyes with mine. "I'm sorry...."

A tear ran down my face as she watched in awe. "No I'm sorry..."

"There is nothing for you to be sorry about, you have lost a family member."

She nodded and focused back on praying.

I let out a sigh as my throat burned, I held back my tears to try to act strong in front of my pack but, truly I was falling apart inside. Everyone is getting hurt because of my choice.

Arms wrapped around me as my people started placing all their flowers on their families graves. 

"Shhh.. These people are trying to be strong show them you can be too." Someone mumbled in my ear.

I buried my face into his grey shirt. I didn't look up to see who it was, I was just glad someone was here to hold me.

"Mom? Dad?" A little girl's voice called out. "Are you here?"

She seemed frightened and alone.

I looked up from the guy's shirt to see Izzy glancing around at the people's faces.

"Izzy?" I rasped.

Her face lit up once she heard my voice. "Phoenix?"

I went to hug her but, the guy holding me didn't let go.

"Who is..." I said as I turned my head to see Chester's brown hair.

"Chester." I said shocked.

He finally released me with an emotionless face. "You need to come with me, you can end this pain they have."

I stuck my hand in his face. "Don't feed me your lies, I'm done with people lying to me." I sighed.