Chapter 15

He stopped dead in his tracks and his eyes widened to the point I thought his eyeballs would just pop out of its socket.

The guards, however, still did not stop and right before they touched me, Uncle Ben raised his hand and thankfully that stopped them.

"A-A-Ashley?" he stammered unable to speak. He was too surprised for his own good.

"Yes, Uncle Ben," I said urging him to continue.

"What are you doing here?" he finally managed to ask.

"I was just about to leave when I saw you and your friend hanging out, and I thought I come by and say 'hi', but these people started running towards me!" I lied easily.

I have a slight feeling that the men who were chasing me recognized me but as soon as they wanted to either complain or say something, Uncle Ben cut him off.

"Oh... Okay. Sure. In fact, we were just about to 'hang out' right?" He said glaring at the man beside him. The man who was still in shock after what happened frantically nodded his head mainly out of fear.

I narrowed my eyes at Uncle Ben since I knew exactly what was going on. He was a murderer. I saw it with my own eyes, I saw him killing another man and he was about the kill this man, if not for me.

"Amazing! I never really knew that you lived here Uncle Ben," I told him.

"Yeah... Business makes you travel around a lot you know?" he said laughing nervously. If only he knew that I already knew what 'business' he was talking about here. 

They say looks can be deceiving and they sure as hell were right about that! Uncle Ben may look sweet and innocent but once you see the realities of life, you get to see the devilish side of him, and it isn't very pleasant...

I could already see that Uncle Ben was associated with some gang or something like that, cause I don't think someone would go killing random people just for the fun of it. I'm sure he makes quite some money out of this so-called business of his.

"You want to go grab a cup of coffee, Ashley?" he asked trying to change the topic desperately.

"Sure," I told him.

"Great! You'll be coming with us right, Fred?" he asked turning to the man he was about to kill minutes ago.

"Actually, I'll just be leave-" he started to protest but Uncle Ben gave him the death glare that shut him up.

"I'd love to," the man finally said hanging his head in defeat.

"Well, what are we waiting for? Let's head to Starbucks!" I said cheerfully- maybe a bit too cheerfully since I didn't want them to notice the bitterness in my voice.

They both nodded simultaneously and followed me silently- Uncle Ben secretly giving death glares (what he thought I couldn't see) to the man, who was following me shaking nervously and gulping every time my uncle glared at him.

"I heard about your mom, Ashley, but don't forget that she was my sister as well. I know what all you guys must be going through..." he trailed off.

"Yeah, it has been pretty hard lately. But to be honest, Dylan is taking it very well. I wouldn't believe him for a second if he comes and tells me that he's ten years old only. He's actually really mature for his age," I said feeling proud of him once again.

"Oh, what about you and John? How are you taking it?"

"I'm doing great, but I can't say much about Dad, though," I said looking down.