Cross Country and Unwanted Bodyguards

Maddy was woken by her alarm, a few hours after she had collapsed into her bed. It had been a short but sweet sleep. She got ready almost as slow as a snail and headed to school. She had been thinking about what Isaac had said last night.

"Isaac! Slow down! Wait up!" She called, running after him. He stopped and turned to her. "You weren't lying earlier when you said you could run. You were almost as fast as me, and I have werewolf speed. You should join cross country."

She decided to try it, she could always quit if she didn't like it. She talked to Coach Finstock and signed up. When it was time to go run, she headed out to the trail. "Hey. You suggested I sign up, so here I am." She shrugged, walking up to Isaac. "Hey Maddy." He replied, tying his shoelaces and glaring at the twins, Ethan and Aiden. Coach blew his whistle and everyone took off running. Isaac ran after the twins, faster than humanly possible. She ran after him, knowing exactly what he was going to do. "Isaac wait! Isaac! Maddy! Stop!" Scott called, going after them. They ran after them for at least half a mile, before Isaac stopped. She slowed to a jog next to him, breathing heavily. "Where'd they go?" She asked, turning to Isaac. Not even two seconds after she said that, they were tackled to the ground.

She cried out as she was held on her knees along with Isaac by the twins. "Hey Ethan, I always forget, how many bones in the human body?" Aiden asked, looking down at Isaac with a smirk. "I don't know, let's count." Ethan looked down at Maddy. He was about to punch her, when Scott ran up and punched him hard enough to break his jaw. "That's one." Ethan sat up and cracked his jaw back into place. She grinned, Isaac stood up and held his hand out. She grabbed it and stood up. All four boys half wolfed out and snarled. "Hey Aiden! Wonder if she'd survive the bite!" He smirked, showing off his canines and looking directly at Maddy. She narrowed her eyes and got ready to fight when a girl's scream pierced the air. They all ran over and saw the bloody body of a boy tied to a tree. A crowd was gathering around the tree. They ran up next to Stiles. "It's him, isn't it?" Stiles asked, looking over at Scott. He didn't reply.

The sheriff came running up. "Hey, get out of the way." He said, shoving past students. "Get this area cordoned off before they trample every piece of evidence." He yelled the the deputy, who proceeded to back everyone up. Stiles grabbed his father and showed him the injuries. They spoke too softly for her to hear. He suddenly turned to Coach Finstock. "Give us a hand here?" He asked. "You heard the man! Nothing to see here! Probably just some homeless kid." Scott walked over to him, "uh, coach? He was a senior." His face went slack, "oh. He wasn't on the team, was he?" Nobody answered, they all looked around. A blonde girl came running up, screaming. "Kyle! Oh God, Kyle!"

Maddy noticed the twins giving each other confused looks. She looked over at the others and saw that Isaac had noticed it too. Scott nudged them, and they walked away from the scene. "You see the way the twins looked at him?" Isaac asked, as they walked down the hill. "Yeah, like they had no idea what had happened?" She said, looking over at him. "No, no. They knew." He said, with confidence. "The kid was strangled with a garrote, alright? Am I the only one recognizing the lack of "werewolfitude" in these murders?" Stiles added. She shrugged and looked between Isaac and Scott. "Oh, you think it's a coincidence that they show up and then people start dying?" Isaac asked him, angrily. "Well no, but I still don't think it's them."

"Scott? Maddy? How about you two?" Isaac asked with a questioning look. Stiles crossed his arms and looked at them. "I'm going to go with Isaac. Maybe the twins and the rest of this 'pack' are killing people like a human would so they can throw the suspicion off their backs." She shrugged. Isaac grinned triumphantly, while Stiles glared at them. "Scott? How 'bout you?" He asked. "I don't know yet." He replied. "You don't know yet?" Stiles asked, clearly annoyed. "They've got a point. Seriously dude, human sacrifices?" Stiles' jaw dropped as his best friend took Isaac's side. "Scott, your eyes turn into yellow glow sticks, okay? Hair literally grows from your cheeks and then will immediately disappear, and if I were so stab you right now, it would just magically heal. You're telling me you're having trouble grasping human sacrafices?" Stiles rambled, angrily.

Scott sighed, "that's a good point too." He looked over at Isaac, who seemed to be ready to fight someone. "I don't care. They killed that kid, they killed the girl that saved me. I'm gonna kill them too." He walked off, to let out some of his anger. "Okay, Stiles, maybe he has a better point, but you defiantly have less anger..." She said to him, watching Isaac stalk away.

☁︎☁︎☁︎

They returned to school and changed back into their regular clothes. She was pulled aside by Coach Finstock, before she could head off to Chemistry. "Ms. Knight, I saw you running out there today, you should've paced yourself, but your speed was incredible! How would you like to join the lacrosse team?" She was taken back for a minute. "But coach, isn't it a men's team?" He shrugged, "don't have the funding for a womens, so any girls I think are good enough, I get to ask them to join. So, what do you say? Will you do it?" She sighed, "I just think it might be a bit too dangerous..." Coach grumbled something and looked over at a group of kids walking past that were louder than a flock of crows. "How about this, join us in a few practices, and I'll let you play in one game against the worst team there is and see how ya like it? Deal?" She thought for a moment, before giving him a small nod. "Deal." He wrote her a note and sent her off to chem.

She turned the corner to the chemistry hallway, and noticed Aiden beating Ethan up, while Isaac watched. She ran over to Isaac and gave him a questioning look. He shook his head and watched as Aiden slammed Ethan's head into a locker and slid him over to the pair. She then realized what he was doing. "Isaac, we need to -" she was cut off as students pored into the hall. Mr. Harris came out with them. "What is this?" He asked, looking at the pair. "What's going on? You alright?" He then looked down at Ethan, who was still smirking slightly. "He just came at me, then Maddy came around the corner and joined in." Ethan said, looking at Danny, who was holding him. "Isaac, Maddy, what the hell did you do?"

He ended up giving them lunchtime detention. She stalked off, only to be followed by Stiles. She noticed him out of the corner of her eye, watching her get her books out of her locker. She slammed her locker and stalked over to him. He tried to disappear into the crowd, but, she grabbed his shirt collar and pulled him back. "Owwww! Maddy! What was that for?" He asked. "Why the hell were you following me Stiles?" He chuckled nervously, "I uh, have math right now, so I was headed to math." She narrowed her eyes, "Stiles, it's lunchtime. Why were you following me?" He sighed, "Maddy, if Scott hadn't been chasing after you and Isaac, you would've ended up with at least a few broken bones and maybe a bite. We decided it was best if someone watched over you and stopped you in case you were to try to do something that's stupid and reckless again..." That made her mad, "I left the only place I knew to move here. At least there I could do whatever, whenever I wanted. At least there I had friends, not a group of annoying classmates trying to keep watch on me almost every second of the day! I don't need a body guard. I have taken care of myself for the last three years, I don't need you to take the only thing that keeps me sane away from me STILES." She pushed past him and headed to Harris' class for lunch detention.

[WC: 1503]

HEYYY GUYS.... SORRY I DIDN'T UPDATE ON FRIDAY. SOMETIMES I ACTUALLY GET INVITED TO THINGS, IT'S A MIRACLE! 🙂 Hope you enjoy this 'lil chapter. Only about 13 chapters left! Maddy does get a love interest in a few chapters. 😉

XXX
Lia💕