"Gregely!" A voice called over the line.

"Archbishop Geitz," Orius called back.

"How are you, man? How are the brothers? They treating you well?"

"I'm well. I'm well. The brothers are wonderful as always. Very busy with harvesting the late crops these days. Look, Archbishop. I apologize for interrupting you."

"Nonsense, Gregely. I always have time for you. What's on your mind?"

"It's rather difficult to explain, sir," Orius hesitated. He lost his nerve.

"Start at the beginning, man. It can't be that bad." Geitz laughed.

"I'm afraid it is, sir. In a way." Orius smiled.

Geitz held his silence.

"It's happened again. I wasn't sure I should trouble you with this, but I thought you might be the best person to help—considering your connections," Orius said.

"Recidia or Grigori?" Geitz said.

"Neither," Orius said. "Well, she's fast becoming like me—recidia," Orius stammered. "But—"

"She?" Geitz asked, sounding surprised.

"Yes, a female. They're known as erela among my kind," Orius replied.

Orius rolled his eyes. He probably should not have mentioned that fact. It would blow the doors off the teachings Rome had dictated to the churches for centuries. Even the legends insisted the host was made of sexless beings, conspicuously male if not boyish in aspect. It didn't matter what he told them otherwise. He rubbed his eyes again, not wanting to think about the implications of their fetish for boyish waifs and what was kept behind the walls of most churches.

"She came the night before last. I was in the middle of my sermon when the doors of the church blew open. I thought it was just the wind, but when I stepped down to prepare communion... there she was," Orius continued.

"Fascinating. Did anyone see her?" Geitz replied.

"No. There's more," Orius said, but he wouldn't tell him everything. How could he ever explain a demonic brother to these men? They needed an out, in case Geitz proved to be a danger and there was no choice but to reach out to the outpost and humble himself.

"Go on," Geitz encouraged him.

"She's being persecuted by a dark presence."

Orius absently doodled on the half-written page.

"Where there's one, you'll find the other not too far. I'd expect no less. After all, we have the long experience of your fall," Geitz replied.

"What's your advice? She's becoming mortal and I'm afraid we don't have much time before she meets the same fate as mine," Orius asked, after a pause.

"Let me think on it. I'll call you this evening after supper. That'll be enough time to come up with an idea or two. Keep your head, Gregely. Perhaps she was sent to rescue you."

Orius laughed, unconvinced. He told Geitz he looked forward to speaking with him again. Hanging up the receiver, he looked at the sermon and prayed he had not just placed a call that would alert Rome and send them both into an earthly Jahannam.

Upon the page, his doodle took the distinct shape of a triangle and eye. Orius stared at the scribble, then hurriedly balled up the paper and threw it in the trash. No. He wouldn't be made to reach there. Bethiah needed to be returned, not recruited. Orius sighed, lowering his head to his hand.

Geitz was only an acquaintance, not a friend he could trust without question. If only one of the brothers was an archbishop instead. Orius sat back, closing his eyes. A moment of meditation might do him some good as well. He drew that scribble for a reason. His own mind was telling him the way, but he couldn't risk involving them and hurting her further.