chapter two

chapter two

It was now time for lunch. So far, Phil and I had all of the same classes except for fourth hour, which was the hour that had just finished; he had study hall and I had band. He said, and I quote, that he wanted to be in band but he wasn't because he has no musical talent whatsoever. Which I honestly find kind of difficult to believe, since he seems like he's perfect at nearly everything.

Phil walked up next to me as I began to walk towards the lunch room, PJ appearing shortly after.

"Hey, guys," I said simply, sort of letting myself fall behind them since this was the place where everything was crowded.

"Hey, Dan. How was fourth hour?" Phil asks, glancing back at me every few seconds.

"Eh. It was alright. Just like every other day."

"You know, you never actually told me what instrument you play. Is it a super cool instrument?" he questions, letting himself fall behind PJ so that he was now standing right next to me, maybe even a little too close since people we bumping into him, causing him to bump into me, causing me to bump into other kids, which honestly just caused an awkward chain reaction of bumping (which sounds more dirty than it's supposed to).

"Oh, really? I never told you? Uh, I play the piano," I replied a little too awkwardly.

"Ooh! The piano is such a pretty sounding instrument!" he said loudly, smiling. The corner of his eyes wrinkled when he got really happy or really excited, or even when he was just simply smiling sometimes.

"Wait, really? I get made fun of for liking it sometimes."

"Oh my god, of course! I just really love the way it sounds. It sounds super cool and I love it a lot."

"Oh. Well, uh, thanks I guess? Although you didn't compliment me, I- wow, this is going a different direction than what it was supposed to and now it's just really awkward. I should stop."

"No, it's okay!" he replied quickly, laughing a little bit.

Then there was a slight awkward silence between us as Phil looked down, his eyes kind of widening. He cleared his throat, obviously trying to break the awkward silence.

"So, um..." Phil started softly. "Is the lunch here any good?" he continued after thinking of a question to ask.

"It literally tastes like dick. So, if you like the taste of dick, yeah."

At that, he blushed, but he also looked at me with that joking 'how do you know what that tastes like' sort of face. "Have you ever even tasted dick?" he asked, seeming to cringe at himself even thinking of that word, acting like it was some sort of swear word.

"Now, now, Mr. Lester, that's none of your business," I said, laughing and pushing him a little bit.

"Wow. Get a room or something," PJ cut in jokingly. "Anyway, since you two seem to be having the time of your damn life, I'm going to go sit down at an empty table. Feel free to join me whenever you're ready. Later, lovebirds," he finished, walking away through the crowd.

I looked over at Phil to see that his face was slightly pink-ish, and I found myself wondering whether he was blushing or his face was pink because it was just generally pretty warm in here, and I was definitely too shy to ask despite the fact that I feel like I've known him forever at this point.

Once again, I find myself staring at him and taking in every little detail. Once again, I find myself lost in his eyes. Once again, I find even more things to love about him. I was falling in love with everything about him; the way he moved, talked, how he was always super nice to everyone, his appearance in general.

God, I'm pathetic.

Dan, you're feeling again, I thought to myself, holding back a little bit of laughter because if I laughed, that would probably make me seem insane.

As I snapped myself back into reality, I noticed that Phil seemed to be staring at me in the same way I was staring at him.

"Phil?" I ask softly, nudging him a little. "You alright?" I continue, laughing a little bit.

"Hm? Oh, uh, yeah. I'm fine," he said, blinking as if he was just coming out of a daydream.

I looked around, trying to find PJ. As I spotted him, I looked back to Phil. "Okay. Then do you want to go sit down? PJ's right there," I told him, motioning to the table that our friend was sitting at, which was otherwise empty.

"Yeah, sure! That sounds fun," he started, grabbing my wrist and bringing me towards the table, "So far this has been a pretty eventful first day."

"Well, I guess. If you call eventful writing down notes and having an awkward boy named Dan show you around the school, then yeah. It's been pretty damn eventful."

"So far I've had a lot of fun with you! During passing time and stuff. You're a pretty fun guy!"

I didn't know how to respond. I've never been good with compliments. "Oh. Uh, thanks?" I reply awkwardly, internally facepalming afterwards.

Laughing, Phil quickly responded. "No problem." Almost immediately after, we arrived at the table and Phil sat one space away from PJ, leaving me a space in the middle of them.

{▪■▪}

Author's Note: yes hello here i am. this update was a day late- it was supposed to go out last night but i fell asleep whilst making it. to make up for that, i'm going to try to get an update out tomorrow too which should put us back on schedule. but anyway, thanks for reading! i hope you enjoyed! ^.^
i love you all, my smol babbs. peace out, stay rad!
-ary asylum xx